Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tim Lewis

Wetherspoons To Stop Selling Champagne And Prosecco

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, welly said:

I'd probably rather spend time in a hospice than a Wetherspoons. Give me a proper pub any day of the week rather than the McDonalds of pubs.

To be honest - I'd rather not have to spend time in a hospice ... and when that time does come I'm damn sure I'd rather be able to be in a Weatherspoons.

None of which of course is intended to detract from the truly magnificent work done in hospices up and down the country.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, KevMc said:

None of which of course is intended to detract from the truly magnificent work done in hospices up and down the country.

...or the fact that most Wetherspoons are in town centre buildings often with significant architectural features (such as old banks or churches) that just don't have any other purpose these days.

I can see the Wetherspoon bubble bursting though, as the Cafe/Restaurant on the high street volume reaches saturation point.

He will struggle to replace prosecco with a cheaper/palatable alternative. The reason for its popularity is for the equivalent price all others tend to give you a screaming headache! 

Shame that he is letting politics into his business, I thought his propaganda beer mats were a bit silly. 

6 hours ago, welly said:

I'd probably rather spend time in a hospice than a Wetherspoons. Give me a proper pub any day of the week rather than the McDonalds of pubs.

A snobbish generalisation.  As many on here know, I'm a pub/cask beer fanatic, and have found that Wetherspoons vary (almost) as much as any other pubs.  It's down to the individual management and (probably more important) the area and clientele.  I've been in some very good ones, eg Whittlesea, Brighouse, and some truly awful (Pontefract sticks gruesomely in my mind.)  Our local 'Spoons in Hawick, in the old Conservative Club, is one of the best buildings in town, inside and out, and has a better selection of beers than the rest of the town's pubs put together.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 2

22 hours ago, Gareth E said:

...despite some having allergic reactions to certain types, including myself.

Don't do yourself down - you're welcome here! :D

51 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

A snobbish generalisation.  As many on here know, I'm a pub/cask beer fanatic, and have found that Wetherspoons vary (almost) as much as any other pubs.  It's down to the individual management and (probably more important) the area and clientele.  I've been in some very good ones, eg Whittlesea, Brighouse, and some truly awful (Pontefract sticks gruesomely in my mind.)  Our local 'Spoons in Hawick, in the old Conservative Club, is one of the best buildings in town, inside and out, and has a better selection of beers than the rest of the town's pubs put together.

Seconded.

Our local Spoons is built around the old register office in Guisborough. It was a dire looking 60's monstrocity that has been greatly improved. The staff are great, the service is good. Ok the food is not what could be described as high brow cuisine but it's fine and great value.

The coffee is way cheaper than Costa or Nero and just as nice, endless re fills too. The beer is good too.

What's not to like?

JS28051687.jpg

the-ironstone-miner.jpg

Edited by MJG

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Brake Bros products into the microwave does not constitute "cooked"!

Wether it is cooked in a factory or in the pub it doesn't matter a hoot, it's what it tastes like that counts, Wetherspoons provide reasonable food at prices are often up to half of the pub next door which probably got it's food from the same source..

Nobody goes to spoons for Gordon Blue meals, you know what you are getting for the price and that you will be able to wash it down with a pint that probably coat less than a coffee in a nearby coffee shop.

Edited by Tim Lewis

8 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Wether it is cooked in a factory or in the pub it doesn't matter a hoot, it's what it tastes like that counts, Wetherspoons provide reasonable food at prices are often up to half of the pub next door which probably got it's food from the same source..

Nobody goes to spoons for Gordon Blue meals, you know what you are getting for the price and that you will be able to wash it down with a pint that probably coat less than a coffee in a nearby coffee shop.

And you can't cook a lot of things they serve in a microwave anyway..

On 14/06/2018 at 15:23, carlt said:

...or the fact that most Wetherspoons are in town centre buildings often with significant architectural features (such as old banks or churches) that just don't have any other purpose these days.

I can see the Wetherspoon bubble bursting though, as the Cafe/Restaurant on the high street volume reaches saturation point.

My sons wedding last October. 140 guests, 3 course sit down meal all beautifully done including the wedding for about £3500.

IMG_1426.JPG

• Greenie 1

On 14/06/2018 at 18:16, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yeah, that's probably fair. It was a snobbish generalisation. It's not the McDonald's of pubs but it certainly is the Costa Coffee of pubs.

As much as each Wetherspoons is individual, they're still cookie cutter pubs, albeit with chocolate sprinkles on one and hundreds and thousands on another. But they're still basically the same pub.

I don't find them particularly interesting and I'd struggle to ever make a Wetherspoons my "local". People go, as a general rule, because they have cheap food and cheap drinks. Nothing wrong with that at all, but they miss the essence of a pub. The "je ne sais pas".

Wetherspoons is perfectly fine if you want reasonable food, certainly not good or great, and good beer (occasionally great) but for me, they're not what I look for in a good pub. I just find them pretty soulless.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

It matters if your pie has no pastry at the bottom!

• Greenie 1

I feel there might be real economic sense behind this policy. Back when I used to drink, I reckoned I couldn't tell the difference between champagne (i.e. made in France and entitled to be called that), and Asti Spumante (made in Italy using the same method but half the price). Of course Italy is still in the EU, although its new government appears to have doubts, but my point is that often drinkers are paying for a name and an established reputation. I rarely drank English wine, there wasn't much of it produced then anyway, but some seem to say it's as good as its continental rivals, and people like the wine I make even though I'm a complete amateur using grapes from my neighbour's garden in Croydon. The EU does have a big percentage of all the world's wine production, but there's always Australia, Chile and South Africa.

But I doubt that it makes good business sense to nail your political colours to the mast, it's likely to lose more customers than it gains.