Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tim Lewis

Wetherspoons To Stop Selling Champagne And Prosecco

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

For all the Wetherspoons haters out there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44465657

I dont use wetherspoons they are simply not my cup of tea, however this is a brave move in one way but not as brave as it first seems. Wetherspoons target is for instance not champagne drinkers they entice fosters and alco pop buyers into their establishments as they are the pile it high sell it cheap scenario as is proved by the paltry few champagne they sell yearly and the amount of fag buts you trip over going through the doors. If however they do replace with non eu stuff then as a staunch Brexiter I think they are daft as they should sell what Joe Bloggs wants and if its made in europe I dont mind as French wine is still the best or a bottle of barolo is unbeatable. Its just Tim whatsisname trying for cheap publicity.

Just popped into Wetherspoon's in Oxford. Got your usual gang of elders having a pint in the corner, a few students and some quite well off looking adults. I don't dislike Tim Martins pubs. A pint of Abbot £2.59. Can't grumble about that. 

Not all Weatherspoons are the same, the Imperial in Exeter is huge and quite plush, and the food was good. The clientele is predomiomnantly University Lecturers and Students. It is also where many students go with their parents. We always had lunch there with our daughter at the end and beginning of term. The Car park is not huge, but as most of the customers come on foot, it was never a problem.

image.png.8ae83c48aabcd20dbea222fc2ab17929.png     image.png.6c202bb8c854af748305695e62d986b3.png

Edited by David Schweizer

I'd suggest that Wetherspoons' business model is a matter for Wetherspoons and nobody else. They are running a profit-making concern, for goodness' sake, not providing a vital service. I wouldn't be ordering Champagne (or Prosecco, or Cava for that matter) in a 'spoons' since I'd rather spend a fiver a bottle in Morrisons. If I'm drinking beer I prefer to patronise a local independent outlet provided the draught beer is good (which means UK brewed).  

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just popped into Wetherspoon's in Oxford. Got your usual gang of elders having a pint in the corner, a few students and some quite well off looking adults. I don't dislike Tim Martins pubs. A pint of Abbot £2.59. Can't grumble about that. 

You sound like the kind of bloke with a pram hood!! :D Try the Lamb and Flag and have a ploughmans whilst there.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'd suggest that Wetherspoons' business model is a matter for Wetherspoons and nobody else.

If they were bothered about folk discussing it then surely they wouldn't bother publicising it.

It is probably more to do with the owner realising that he hasn't got a rabidly anti Europe comment in the news lately than any business model.

He's always fancied himself as the Brextremist poster boy but never quite made it.

If boycotting the EU is so important then good luck to him...Like you I wouldn't be buying champagne at a Wetherspoons anyway...Cheap grub and their okay coffee is the only reason I go in there but only after I've wandered round looking and failing to find an alternative.

• Happy 1

An odd thing about Wetherspoons: They've banned vaping in all their pubs, and seem to actively seek out those infringing their law (usually me). Strange really, given the huge damage the smoking ban did to pubs. Vaping in public places is not illegal and certainly doesn't impose on others in the way that smoking does.   

Just now, Gareth E said:

.... and certainly doesn't impose on others in the way that smoking does.   

normal vaping maybe but there are those who chuff out more vapour than a Drax cooling tower which isn't pleasant.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

An odd thing about Wetherspoons: They've banned vaping in all their pubs, and seem to actively seek out those infringing their law (usually me). Strange really, given the huge damage the smoking ban did to pubs. Vaping in public places is not illegal and certainly doesn't impose on others in the way that smoking does.   

Lets be honest vaping is a daft craze that will soon die a death, have you ever looked how daft it is? The human lung is far happier without smoke or vapour anyway. Pubs are for getting drunk in and wrecking your liver innitt 😎

58 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Yes it does.

Vapes stink rotten!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes it does.

Vapes stink rotten!

So does the powerful perfume some women wear. Maybe men as well, in order to fit with the sensibilities of equality. I've yet to see perfume banned anywhere, despite some having allergic reactions to certain types, including myself.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

So does the powerful perfume some women wear. Maybe men as well, in order to fit with the sensibilities of equality. I've yet to see perfume banned anywhere, despite some having allergic reactions to certain types, including myself.

The best thing about our local Spoons is that it bans smoking even at the outside tables. There is a small covered designated smoking area but the vast majority of the outside tables are smoke free. Perfick.

40 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Perhaps you should don a sandwich board detailing exactly which and every substance you are allergic to and then people could avoid coming close to you?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets be honest vaping is a daft craze that will soon die a death, have you ever looked how daft it is? The human lung is far happier without smoke or vapour anyway. Pubs are for getting drunk in and wrecking your liver innitt 😎

Hopefully they will ban alcohol too then, once peeps realise this amazing fact.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Well you can't grumble about the price, anyway...........

Ah, Wetherspoons. Where atmosphere goes to die.

There's nothing like drinking in an establishment that feels like a hospice reception to get you into the mood.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, welly said:

There's nothing like drinking in an establishment that feels like a hospice reception to get you into the mood.

Hospices are AMAZING places. Have you ever been in one? 

I am SO grateful to the one in Woking for looking after my dear old departed Dad so beautifully.

We gave them a hefty donation when he eventually passed over....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, welly said:

we have a couple on a fri/sat night they are heaving and a good place to meet up before moving on.

on a Saturday afternoon when the saints are at home. the atmosphere is fantastic. but then it is made by the punters, normally with a sing off between home and away fans.

Newsflash! I will be stocking my fridge with Camembert. Take that!  Tim Martin. Ha!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

Newsflash! I will be stocking my fridge with Camembert. Take that!  Tim Martin. Ha!

French brie is also better than ours!!

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hospices are AMAZING places. Have you ever been in one? 

I am SO grateful to the one in Woking for looking after my dear old departed Dad so beautifully.

We gave them a hefty donation when he eventually passed over....

I'd probably rather spend time in a hospice than a Wetherspoons. Give me a proper pub any day of the week rather than the McDonalds of pubs.

Edited by welly