Hi does anyone know what this is please on my boat

Matt0404

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Matt0404 said:

Hi again sorry to be a complete newbie is this for the gearbox and is it normal hydrolic oil?

Seen in isolation its hard to say. Is the boat hydraulic drive or bowthruster for instance? where does the thing connect up to?

I would say its for a hydraulic drive - no gearbox, just a hydraulic pump, valve & motor driving the prop. Plus an oil cooler, PRV and hoses.

Yes hydraulic oil probably but you need to check the manual or any labels. Hydraulic oil is NOT brake fluid or hydraulic jack fluid. Its what farmers use in hydraulic machinery.

I think that you will find a filter under the castellated thing on top.

Good point about a hydraulic bow thruster or hydraulic pumps or winches. It does look a bit small for a main drive reservoir to me but they seem to get smaller almost by the year.

I can see the feed, return and leak back hose from the motor hoses though.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Follow the pipes and post photos of whatever it is they connect into for more info.

Did you get a survey before buying the boat? The survey report ought to tell you what sort of hydraulic stuff you have in the boat. Or ask the surveyor!

5 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Does it go down to something like the red unit at the back of the engine like this? It's the hydraulic drive pump.

Yes and as its on the engine the boat is likely to have a hydraulic transmission.  There will be a hydraulic motor on the prop shaft and between the two a three position spool vale. (reverse - neutral - ahead).

Probably designed by http://www.arsangliandiesels.co.uk/

59 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Today through the small round window you can see a flow indicator; it doesn't work any more because its pipes have been cut/disconnected. 

I think you will find its a low oil level switch

• 1 month later...