CH5 Building Britains Canals

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

This Friday 8PM on channel 5

Starts with the Grand union

In April we were held up for nearly 3 hours at the top of the Bingley Five Rise. Channel 5 were messing about in a Silsden Boats hireboat and the volunteer lockies were getting brassed off because of the number of re-takes they were doing.

I think this series might be the one they were filming for. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Peter X said:

We were told about women crewing boats on the L&L during WW2, accompanied by footage of G.U.C.C.Co. boats which I would suppose didn't go that far north? Maybe nobody filmed the L&L?

There are few historic films/photos of the L&LC, possibly because people up north had much less disposable income than those in the south, and thus much less likely to have access to a camera. There are significantly more films/photos of southern narrow waterways. I have found several photos of the women volunteer crews on the L&LC - only one couple survived any length of service - and most appear in the Nancy Ridgway book which I helped publish.

Thanks Pluto, that sounds quite plausible, not that my parents' families in London had the means to do much photography at that time; I have very few photos of my relatives from before my parents' wedding in 1947, and not a lot from before about 1960. I suppose some well off amateurs would have been filming on the canals, more so in the south as you say, and wonder whether professionals, who'd have only been filming for cinema use (?), might have been based at studios near London and tended not to stray far to get their footage?

• 2 weeks later...

The series seems to have a fairly cavalier attitude to the use of archive material with historic images of railway construction used to represent canals; well out of period steam locomotives; what look to me to be US railways and rioting navies as depicted by Bruegel. Having said that it is nice to see a serious attempt to describe the engineering of the canal system rather than a well know personality patronising the locals while travelling by boat as typified by John Sergeant in Barging Around Britain.

5 minutes ago, Keith Farley-Pettman said:

The series seems to have a fairly cavalier attitude to the use of archive material with historic images of railway construction used to represent canals; well out of period steam locomotives; what look to me to be US railways and rioting navies as depicted by Bruegel. Having said that it is nice to see a serious attempt to describe the engineering of the canal system rather than a well know personality patronising the locals while travelling by boat as typified by John Sergeant in Barging Around Britain.

Celebrities never patronise, they grace and enrich the local’s lives with their very presence.  We should Be honoured.

• Haha 1