The Victron will be ours

DanMax&Belle

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Does the Victron energy system, particularly the colour control unit (which i have already) allow for additional (non victron, non energy related) input? I'd like to add a temp sensor if possible, perhaps a water tank full/empty sensor later on. It'd be good if it could be read from anywhere, see data points plotted out on a graph and, importantly, is robust and reliable (unlike Arduino/PI setups, which in my experience need regular reboot). 

Doe anyone know if one can take advantage of APIs, aux plugs, bluetooth/wifi connections etc on the module to link in non victron input?

Cheers 

Dan

19 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Probably best to talk to someone like ES Energy with your requirements, or directly with Victron.

thanks - will do

If anyone has done this or similar please chip in though. Victron do have a provision for a solar panel temp sensor (presumably to enhance the performance of the panel/MPPT system) , i did wonder if I could isolate and display this data through the VRM portal....

I can't help either as I don't have the colour control thingy, but am rather underwhelmed by Victrons Bluetooth abilities on the BMV 713 and the mppt controller. No ability to save data, as far as I can see, but that may be me being thick. It sort of puts me off Victron being able to connect any sort of data network together. Does the colour control thingy allow you to do that? 

You mentioned PI's. What success have you had connecting a Rasp Pi to the victron system for data recording?

I'm trying to find an old blog via google that I have just recalled from when I was considering putting Venus on a Raspberry Pi (As described on Victron github page). Can't remember the technical details but I remember a chap documenting his experiences figuring out how to communicate via one of the Victron API's and do some fairly decent graphing and triggering of external events via a linux box (Probably a Pi again!). One of those 'child' things turned up in the household which took away all the spare time I might have allocated to such projects....