The North West is Closed

captain birdseye

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, dmr said:

We have talked about this but decided against it even though we do currently have our "certificate of seaworthiness" for the ship canal. Could just about be done in a very long day but an overnight stop at Ellesmere Port would be a lot more sensible. I have watched a sailing boat going into the Liverpool lock on a falling tide, would not want to do that in a narrowboat, so need to be sure you can get over the Mersey without any delays. I would love to do it but in somebody else's boat rather than my home. I suspect a few boats might have tackled the Mersey crossing had Marsh Lock been available.

................Dave

If it turns into a lengthy stoppage, I can see CRT organising a convoy to Pomona to get the boats out of Liverpool. We're disappointed not to make it after planning this trip since January, but very thankful we're not the wrong side of the breach.

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

If it turns into a lengthy stoppage, I can see CRT organising a convoy to Pomona to get the boats out of Liverpool. We're disappointed not to make it after planning this trip since January, but very thankful we're not the wrong side of the breach.

I suspect they will organise a convoy over to Ellesmere Port then anybody who wants to be on the T&M side can go round the long way! I don't know if the ship canal would waive the "certificate of Sea Worthiness" in cases like this, but as all the boats are together in Liverpool a single surveyor could do a job lot at reduced cost.

Actually a convoy with some going in at Ellesmere and a few going on to Manchester would make sense. If this had all happened two weeks later then we would have been trapped in Liverpool. Deciding between a Mersey crossing or a long stay in the city of many pubs and things to do would be difficult.

..............Dave

11 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

When a lock collapsed on the Aylesbury Arm in 2013, CRT organised a lorry and crane exit for boats trapped on the wrong side.

We were booked to use Marsh lock 20 August to travel to Whitchurch for their boat rally. Now

that Daniel Adamson has wrecked the lock gates CRT have suggested that our 6 boats use Paloma lock

to access the Ship canal and get to Ellesmere Port that way. However, the cost of more than £500 per

boat for the return trip rule that route out on economic grounds alone! Looks as if we are doomed to

remain on the Trent & Mersey for the duration.