The North West is Closed

captain birdseye

Featured Posts

What with the ongoing trouble at Marple, the Breach on the Middlewich Branch and now the route into Liverpool closed due to another breach the available routes in the north west are getting severely limited

From C&RTs stoppages

The Leeds & Liverpool Canal is currently closed to navigation at Bridge 10 (Holmes Swing Bridge) due to a collapsed culvert (No. 29) near Burscough.

An update will be issued later today.

There is some video on the Melling Community Facebook page, but apparently about 29 mile of canal emptied into the fields last night

14 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

What with the ongoing trouble at Marple, the Breach on the Middlewich Branch and now the route into Liverpool closed due to another breach the available routes in the north west are getting severely limited

From C&RTs stoppages

The Leeds & Liverpool Canal is currently closed to navigation at Bridge 10 (Holmes Swing Bridge) due to a collapsed culvert (No. 29) near Burscough.

An update will be issued later today.

There is some video on the Melling Community Facebook page, but apparently about 29 mile of canal emptied into the fields last night

You forgot

Anderton Boat Lift being out of action today for unspecified technical reasons

Bollington still not properly fixed (do we go out on our summer holidays and risk not getting back, or do I spend 2 weeks at Buggy)

The signs at Marple Services are LOVELY though!

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, colmac said:

Booked for Liverpool on the 12th August, don't know how bad the breech is but it sounds fairly serious so may need to rethink our route.

Pop out onto the estuary and go by sea. If anything, it'll be 'interesting'!

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Liverpool was my destination, too (July 8).    After Marple, am I a hex?

We were to be in 20th July. However, it is “only” a culvert breach, which is not as bad as say Middlewich. So I’m not going to rule our trip out yet.

44 minutes ago, mayalld said:

The signs at Marple Services are LOVELY though!

Are you proposing they send the signs back for a refund, then use the money to fix the breach?

It seems a fine example of a management busy doing blue sky thinking instead of doing the dull and boring grunt work of looking after their assets. Am I being unfair?

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We were to be in 20th July. However, it is “only” a culvert breach, which is not as bad as say Middlewich. So I’m not going to rule our trip out yet.

I was stuck at Rufford for 3 months....that was “only” a culvert 

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Liverpool was my destination, too (July 8).    After Marple, am I a hex?

We were booked in for the 1st August but  the repairs could be done before then depending how bad it is.

I am hoping that there are no badgers or great crested newts in the area ?.

Let us know where you are going next Mac so that we can avoid the area?

We were booked on 21 June, Thursday next week. We're at Pennington Flash today. We could hang around to see if they miraculously get it fixed in time, but have decided not to bother. We've winded and cancelled our booking.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you proposing they send the signs back for a refund, then use the money to fix the breach?

It seems a fine example of a management busy doing blue sky thinking instead of doing the dull and boring grunt work of looking after their assets. Am I being unfair?

Is the culvert a CRT asset?  The one on the W&E that collapsed the other week belongs to Severn Trent Water —which presumably means they’ll be paying to fix it.  Does anyone know who owns this one?

1 hour ago, adam1uk said:

Is the culvert a CRT asset?  The one on the W&E that collapsed the other week belongs to Severn Trent Water —which presumably means they’ll be paying to fix it.  Does anyone know who owns this one?

It would not be Severn Trent, the water company in that area is United Utilities, so if it is not CRT then I guess it could be there’s.

We are booked into Liverpool later this month (29th) going that way straight after Middlewich. Maybe go back down onto the Weaver instead and down the ship canal to Chester, oops forgot, Marsh lock is broken, maybe just go to the Red Lion at Winsford, oops forgot, Anderton lift broken. Have thought about doing the Rochdale but as we are 71 foot its a there and back for us and not sure I want to go into a CaRT run cul-de-sac at the moment.  Guess its Heartbreak Hill then down onto the Thames as quickly as we can.

.................Dave

6 hours ago, colmac said:

Booked for Liverpool on the 12th August, don't know how bad the breech is but it sounds fairly serious so may need to rethink our route.

Same day as us. This is our third booking this year as other two became impossible due to various boat problems. 

4 hours ago, dmr said:

We are booked into Liverpool later this month (29th) going that way straight after Middlewich. Maybe go back down onto the Weaver instead and down the ship canal to Chester, oops forgot, Marsh lock is broken, maybe just go to the Red Lion at Winsford, oops forgot, Anderton lift broken. Have thought about doing the Rochdale but as we are 71 foot its a there and back for us and not sure I want to go into a CaRT run cul-de-sac at the moment.  Guess its Heartbreak Hill then down onto the Thames as quickly as we can.

.................Dave

Down the ship canal from Pomona Lock to Ellesmere Port and then on to Liverpool is an option.

Anyone know the ins and outs of doing this trip.

5 hours ago, john6767 said:

It would not be Severn Trent, the water company in that area is United Utilities, so if it is not CRT then I guess it could be there’s.

It could well be Severn Trent, the catchment area there is to the Tame which feeds the Trent.

I have no doubt that the severe storms of the bank holiday sunday in the area which killed someone a couple of miles away led to the collapse of the culvert. If regular clearing maintenance was a priority then you could blame the weather. As planned maintenance seems to be a receding priority in this country, I have little doubt that negligent inaction was a contributing factor.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

It could well be Severn Trent, the catchment area there is to the Tame which feeds the Trent.

I have no doubt that the severe storms of the bank holiday sunday in the area which killed someone a couple of miles away led to the collapse of the culvert. If regular clearing maintenance was a priority then you could blame the weather. As planned maintenance seems to be a receding priority in this country, I have little doubt that negligent inaction was a contributing factor.

I have a resident Seven Trent expert here and she says not, and she is never wrong, well that’s what she tells me ?. Dee Valley is now owned by Severn Trent but that is the other side of the Mersey.  I think it is going to be UU, assuming it’s not CRT’s.

I suspect our changing weather is having an impact on these these things for sure.

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Down the ship canal from Pomona Lock to Ellesmere Port and then on to Liverpool is an option.

Anyone know the ins and outs of doing this trip.

We have talked about this but decided against it even though we do currently have our "certificate of seaworthiness" for the ship canal. Could just about be done in a very long day but an overnight stop at Ellesmere Port would be a lot more sensible. I have watched a sailing boat going into the Liverpool lock on a falling tide, would not want to do that in a narrowboat, so need to be sure you can get over the Mersey without any delays. I would love to do it but in somebody else's boat rather than my home. I suspect a few boats might have tackled the Mersey crossing had Marsh Lock been available.

................Dave