Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
AMModels

Leeds and Liverpool breached at Maghull

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

I believe they can pump water from the Mersey into the docks, but don't unless they have to due to the energy costs. There must be a lot of runoff from the surrounding land that enters the docks, as well as water down the Stanley locks.

There is some sort of pumping arrangement at Brunswick Lock, not sure whether this is to top up the dock system or for silt clearance. That "pound" runs all the way to Albert Dock. 

3 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

There is some sort of pumping arrangement at Brunswick Lock, not sure whether this is to top up the dock system or for silt clearance. That "pound" runs all the way to Albert Dock. 

Yes, I noticed that last year, looks pretty new and looks like a silt clearance system.....gets a mention here:

http://www.amco.co.uk/project/42/Brunswick-Lock-Gate-Refurbishment

All that Liverpool dock system in interesting, would love to know more about it. There is the moveable gate between Albert Dock and Canning half tide dock and Canning has a single gate into the Mersey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Half_Tide_Dock

.............Dave

40 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Just to add to the problems at Melling, a stolen car was dumped in the canal overnight. 

Probably trying to help CRT with its lack of stop planks.

1 hour ago, Aguila said:

Just to add to the problems at Melling, a stolen car was dumped in the canal overnight. 

My heart goes out to anyone with a boat stranded on this stretch. I'm wondering if insurance would pay for a lift out (where possible) in such circumstances? This video shows the state of the dumping problem 

Makes me think it's going to take more than 6 weeks to sort out.

Edited by bill brown

38 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I wonder if they will use the opportunity to clear out that crap. (Hmmmm)

I would refer my honourable friend to the answer I recieved when I asked a similar question with respect to the W&E breach.

😀

10 minutes ago, colmac said:

Methinks our August booking is looking a tad shaky. Ah weel, plan B I suppose. 

Following the 'we need a new rule thread' maybe an 'old rule' needs revising.

Amend

"failing to plan is planning to fail" to read :

"Failing to plan will have absolutely no effect on how successful your canal journey will be."

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Following the 'we need a new rule thread' maybe an 'old rule' needs revising.

Amend

"failing to plan is planning to fail" to read :

"Failing to plan will have absolutely no effect on how successful your canal journey will be."

Very true in our case. This year we planned to do the Cheshire Ring, visit Chester and sail into Liverpool. Scuppered by the Marple lock fiasco, the Middlewich breach and the Waddicar culvert.

Well at least the Maghull closure has slowed me down (not difficult) and allowed me to explore more.  I'm at Parbold.  How have I missed Parbold before? It calls itself a village, but has a range of amenities that would be the envy of much larger communities.  I guess it's partly down to money - there are some very posh houses here.

And three GBG listed pubs!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well at least the Maghull closure has slowed me down (not difficult) and allowed me to explore more.  I'm at Parbold.  How have I missed Parbold before? It calls itself a village, but has a range of amenities that would be the envy of much larger communities.  I guess it's partly down to money - there are some very posh houses here.

And three GBG listed pubs!

Parbold is one of those places that most people just cruise through without stopping and looking around. Station is handy too, so you can always use it as a short term base and visit places by train.