Leeds and Liverpool breached at Maghull

AMModels

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Timx said:

Does this show how unprofessional and disinterested people putting out information are, if this is coming directly from crt sources. Shocking.if true.

The Email was sent to me by :

Daniel Greenhalgh
Regional Director – North West

I doubt it was actually written and sent by him - maybe a Secretary and sent 'in his name' (but one would have thought it would be checked by him)

13 hours ago, John Wareing said:

The latest news from CRT also says that the towpath is closed from Spencer’s Swing Bridge, which is east of Burscough. That’s a huge distance and I’m not clear how that could be effectively enforced.

12 hours ago, Aguila said:

Should say "Spencer's Lane Bridge" which is near Melling. 

Stoppage notice has been amended:

Update on 14/06/2018:

AMENDMENT

Please note that the towpath is closed from Ledson's Bridge (No. 9c) to Melling Stone Bridge (No. 11).

We’ve just been up to our boat in Scarisbrick Marina, which is around half way between the breach and the lock at Appley Bridge.

Daniel the owner was called at 11pm on Tuesday by CRT telling him to get his stop planks in ASAP. This was done by 3am, by which time the marina was down 8”. They have taken the planks out today and it’s still 6” down. The mainline is cruiseable although I guess if you have a deep draught maybe not.

4 hours ago, John Wareing said:

We’ve just been up to our boat in Scarisbrick Marina, which is around half way between the breach and the lock at Appley Bridge.

Daniel the owner was called at 11pm on Tuesday by CRT telling him to get his stop planks in ASAP. This was done by 3am, by which time the marina was down 8”. They have taken the planks out today and it’s still 6” down. The mainline is cruiseable although I guess if you have a deep draught maybe not.

At least he had stop planks: unlike CRT, it would seem.

19 minutes ago, Aguila said:

'Twas closed by a 'shear pin' problem earlier in the week. 

Not really surprising as it is regularly crossed by HGV's using it as a short-cut to/from Bursco' Industrial Estate. 

Less than a mile from our house is Griff Quarry. The bridge over The Coventry, whilst not old, wasn’t designed to take heavy lorries trundling over it all day long and the road is narrow and winding in that direction too. So a few years back the council put a 3T weight limit on the bridge to force the quarry lorries to go the other way down the lane. That doesn’t stop some drivers from ignoring the rules though. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Less than a mile from our house is Griff Quarry. The bridge over The Coventry, whilst not old, wasn’t designed to take heavy lorries trundling over it all day long and the road is narrow and winding in that direction too. So a few years back the council put a 3T weight limit on the bridge to force the quarry lorries to go the other way down the lane. That doesn’t stop some drivers from ignoring the rules though. 

Some councils have very strong metal bollards to restrict the width that soon gets the word out as reversing can be a pain.

14 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Some councils have very strong metal bollards to restrict the width that soon gets the word out as reversing can be a pain.

I used to live near a railway bridge fitted with these. There was a short central island in the road either side of the bridge and the heavy gauge galvanised tubes positioned each side of each traffic lane, with a signed width restriction of 7 feet.  

The bollards were all splayed outwards at an angle of about 30 degrees to the vertical, and had many coloured paint streaks on the side closest to the road!

CaRT have just phoned us to very politely cancel our Liverpool booking.

They have about 20 boats stuck in there and are also having a low water level problem so a Mersey crossing is not possible at the moment (we had briefly considered getting in by that route).  I assume that the bywash flow down Stanley must be a significant water supply for the docks.  I had also assumed that the docks could be topped up from the Mersey but have never really looked at the levels closely, maybe that can only be done on Spring tides????????

..................Dave

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

CaRT have just phoned us to very politely cancel our Liverpool booking.

They have about 20 boats stuck in there and are also having a low water level problem so a Mersey crossing is not possible at the moment (we had briefly considered getting in by that route).  I assume that the bywash flow down Stanley must be a significant water supply for the docks.  I had also assumed that the docks could be topped up from the Mersey but have never really looked at the levels closely, maybe that can only be done on Spring tides????????

..................Dave

The retained dock water level is higher than normal high tide levels, to stop silt being washed in at high tide.

I believe they can pump water from the Mersey into the docks, but don't unless they have to due to the energy costs. There must be a lot of runoff from the surrounding land that enters the docks, as well as water down the Stanley locks.

As a consequence of the mix of land and sea water, the water in the docks is brackish - not fresh but less salty than seawater.  My daughter can confirm this, having done a number of open-water swims in the docks. The water supports a community of tiny jellyfish - so far she has only swallowed one!

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The retained dock water level is higher than normal high tide levels, to stop silt being washed in at high tide.

I believe they can pump water from the Mersey into the docks, but don't unless they have to due to the energy costs. There must be a lot of runoff from the surrounding land that enters the docks, as well as water down the Stanley locks.

As a consequence of the mix of land and sea water, the water in the docks is brackish - not fresh but less salty than seawater.  My daughter can confirm this, having done a number of open-water swims in the docks. The water supports a community of tiny jellyfish - so far she has only swallowed one!

And a lot of not so tiny ones too, its another one of those features of Liverpool that we look forward to, plus the very clear water that allows a hull inspection. Last year I saw a tall ship going out of the half tide dock into the Mersey but I do think we were on Springs at the time. Its a straight through the open gates thing, not a pound lock.

Maybe the lack of rain combined with the breech have given the low water levels. On a couple of our Liverpool visits the water has been low, we struggled to get through Sids ditch one year, but Cart usually sort it out after a day or two, so the ability to pump water up could explain this.

Swallowing a JellyFish must be a bit of a trauma, hope they don't sting. We sleep in the back cabin (facing the dock) with the doors open if the weather is good and have met a couple of early morning swimmers.

................Dave  I

In full: 

Update on 15/06/2018:

Further to the update of 14 June 2018, our team have now established a site compound near to the stoppage area.  We have obtained the necessary permission to access the canal using third party land and are in the process of laying a track across so that we can get the necessary machinery to site.  We anticipate that the tack will take one week to install. Following this, we will be installing dams on either side of the collapsed culvert so that we can assess the damage, plan and commence the necessary repairs.

When we have established the severity of the damage, we will be better placed to provide estimated timescales for works.  Our initial assessment is that the area will be closed for at least six weeks, although we do not believe that the situation is as severe as other locations such as Middlewich. 

The North West customer support team will be contacting customers with Liverpool Canal Link bookings to keep them updated and make any changes required.  If you have a Liverpool Canal Link booking and need some advice, please contact us on 03030 404040.

An update will be issued on Wednesday 20 June 2018.