Leeds and Liverpool breached at Maghull

AMModels

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

I believe they can pump water from the Mersey into the docks, but don't unless they have to due to the energy costs. There must be a lot of runoff from the surrounding land that enters the docks, as well as water down the Stanley locks.

There is some sort of pumping arrangement at Brunswick Lock, not sure whether this is to top up the dock system or for silt clearance. That "pound" runs all the way to Albert Dock. 

3 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

There is some sort of pumping arrangement at Brunswick Lock, not sure whether this is to top up the dock system or for silt clearance. That "pound" runs all the way to Albert Dock. 

Yes, I noticed that last year, looks pretty new and looks like a silt clearance system.....gets a mention here:

http://www.amco.co.uk/project/42/Brunswick-Lock-Gate-Refurbishment

All that Liverpool dock system in interesting, would love to know more about it. There is the moveable gate between Albert Dock and Canning half tide dock and Canning has a single gate into the Mersey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Half_Tide_Dock

.............Dave

1 hour ago, Aguila said:

Just to add to the problems at Melling, a stolen car was dumped in the canal overnight. 

My heart goes out to anyone with a boat stranded on this stretch. I'm wondering if insurance would pay for a lift out (where possible) in such circumstances? This video shows the state of the dumping problem 

Makes me think it's going to take more than 6 weeks to sort out.

Edited by bill brown

10 minutes ago, colmac said:

Methinks our August booking is looking a tad shaky. Ah weel, plan B I suppose. 

Following the 'we need a new rule thread' maybe an 'old rule' needs revising.

Amend

"failing to plan is planning to fail" to read :

"Failing to plan will have absolutely no effect on how successful your canal journey will be."

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Following the 'we need a new rule thread' maybe an 'old rule' needs revising.

Amend

"failing to plan is planning to fail" to read :

"Failing to plan will have absolutely no effect on how successful your canal journey will be."

Very true in our case. This year we planned to do the Cheshire Ring, visit Chester and sail into Liverpool. Scuppered by the Marple lock fiasco, the Middlewich breach and the Waddicar culvert.

Well at least the Maghull closure has slowed me down (not difficult) and allowed me to explore more.  I'm at Parbold.  How have I missed Parbold before? It calls itself a village, but has a range of amenities that would be the envy of much larger communities.  I guess it's partly down to money - there are some very posh houses here.

And three GBG listed pubs!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well at least the Maghull closure has slowed me down (not difficult) and allowed me to explore more.  I'm at Parbold.  How have I missed Parbold before? It calls itself a village, but has a range of amenities that would be the envy of much larger communities.  I guess it's partly down to money - there are some very posh houses here.

Parbold is one of those places that most people just cruise through without stopping and looking around. Station is handy too, so you can always use it as a short term base and visit places by train.

17 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

If you walk back a few hundred yards to Chapel House Bridge - there are 2ndWW defences still visible on the bridge - then turn down the footpath which takes you over the Douglas, stop on the bridge and look upwards towards Wigan. The river loops off to the right, and in the land in the middle of the loop is a weed-filled hollow. That was the site of one of the original Douglas Navigation locks which was in a short cut across the loop in the river. It is the only original lock site where anything visible has survived, even if it is only a depression. The other Douglas Navigation survivor at Parbold is the aqueduct over the river. If you go down to river level, you can see the aqueduct is at an angle as there was another lock in the field between the road and the canal. The aqueduct was angled to allow for easy access to the lock. The only River Douglas lock surviving is at Sollom, the canal between Rufford and Sollom being built originally around 1760 as part of river navigation improvements.

The latest update on the Melling breach: -

Update on 20/06/2018:

Further to the update of 15 June 2018, our teams continue to install the trackway across the adjacent field, which will facilitate access to the site with the required machinery.   

Contract teams will be working through the weekend and we hope to be in a position to commence the installation of the first dam on Monday next week and the second by Thursday. 

We have been liaising with the Environment Agency who have granted permission to extract water from the River Alt.  Once the dams are in place, we will start to feed water from the river to the Liverpool pound.  We are limited to how much water can be abstracted and it will take time for the Liverpool section to recover.  We are monitoring the water levels on a weekly basis and will keep you updated as to when boat movement can resume on the Liverpool side of the stoppage. 

If you have a Liverpool Canal Link booking and need some advice, please contact us on 03030 404040.

An update will be issued on Wednesday 27 June 2018. 

3 hours ago, John Wareing said:

We have been liaising with the Environment Agency who have granted permission to extract water from the River Alt.  

That's probably where the canal water ended up in the first place!

Went and had a look at Stanley Locks yesterday evening (no pics, sorry). The main line is 2ft-plus down, the pound below the top lock was almost empty. There was water further down the flight.

12 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

That's probably where the canal water ended up in the first place!

Went and had a look at Stanley Locks yesterday evening (no pics, sorry). The main line is 2ft-plus down, the pound below the top lock was almost empty. There was water further down the flight.

Hello EA, please can we have our water back?

I think I remember that at least one of those locks has to be left full, maybe to stop the walls moving in?????  so not good if they end up empty.

.............Dave

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Hello EA, please can we have our water back?

I think I remember that at least one of those locks has to be left full, maybe to stop the walls moving in?????  so not good if they end up empty.

.............Dave

Top one

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Top one

Yes, there is a sign. I don't know why, but I wondered if it was an anti-vandal measure, to stop the bottom gates being opened and the canal drained via the top paddles. The bottom gate paddles were the ones that used to have tubes welded over the spindles and to require special windlasses.

Just to add to this post. We are one of the boats marooned in Salthouse Dock, Liverpool. Two weeks and counting. Not getting bored as spending time watching my anodes fizz. It’s actually very nice here. Plenty to do and see in a great city and moored on a secure mooring with facilities. However, we have organised an escape committee as we don’t want to stay for the winter! To be fair C&RT are being very helpful. Please don’t mention the logo ha ha!

Lucky you, I would love to get stuck in Liverpool for a couple of months. We were due in next week so the breech came a bit too soon.  Easy train journey to a lot of good beaches if you like long waterfront walks.  Are you planning to escape over the Mersey?

.................Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Lucky you, I would love to get stuck in Liverpool for a couple of months. We were due in next week so the breech came a bit too soon.  Easy train journey to a lot of good beaches if you like long waterfront walks.  Are you planning to escape over the Mersey?

.................Dave

It’s been spoken about in hushed tones...depends if we can get past the C&RT sentries! Actually we think it’s great and so sorry you missed out. Big change of plans this summer but we live aboard so not too worried and it’s a cheap way of living in Liverpool 

Some pics of the breach and around stanley locks, more info on the other thread "any update on liverpool" going to take a lot of pumping to re fill the canal, pumping water uphill from the RiverAult, at reduced rate due to  EA  regs on water abstraction.

a lot of water is being lost at bottom of stanley docks lock in to the docks as well.

DSCN2195.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

DSCN2210.JPG

DSCN2213.JPG

DSCN2219.JPG

DSCN2221.JPG

DSCN2232.JPG

DSCN2233.JPG

DSCN2234.JPG

DSCN2238.JPG

DSCN2256.JPG