Leeds and Liverpool breached at Maghull

AMModels

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, oldboater66 said:

Quote from local farm owner in the Liverpool Echo

The 58-year-old told the ECHO: "We've reported a fault with the canal and a persistent damp patch, even in dry weather, for some time now.

"We have reported it consistently and not been believed."

In this as in many other situations the problem lies in how many other similar reports are also being made. Each will take time to investigate and the less precise the report, or the more intermittent the phenomenon, the more it costs to investigate, sometimes leading to no useful conclusion. Of course, if yours was the one that linked to an eventual event then you will find it easy to say, "I told you so" whilst all of the others keep quiet.

We should also remember that not all culverts (as not all bridges) are CaRT's responsibility to maintain. Other organisations have similar problems, especially when the asset register is still taking time to list everything that was inherited from a very long time ago. Some people, I guess, were a bit sceptical when CaRT (and BW before them) starting putting labels on every tiny culvert. We now see how much damage can be done by quite modest culverts when they fail. It does not take much of a breach to drain out a lot of water. Just think how much flows in just a few minutes through a couple of gate paddles into or out of a lock.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In this as in many other situations the problem lies in how many other similar reports are also being made. Each will take time to investigate and the less precise the report, or the more intermittent the phenomenon, the more it costs to investigate, sometimes leading to no useful conclusion. Of course, if yours was the one that linked to an eventual event then you will find it easy to say, "I told you so" whilst all of the others keep quiet.

We should also remember that not all culverts (as not all bridges) are CaRT's responsibility to maintain. Other organisations have similar problems, especially when the asset register is still taking time to list everything that was inherited from a very long time ago. Some people, I guess, were a bit sceptical when CaRT (and BW before them) starting putting labels on every tiny culvert. We now see how much damage can be done by quite modest culverts when they fail. It does not take much of a breach to drain out a lot of water. Just think how much flows in just a few minutes through a couple of gate paddles into or out of a lock.

Whenever something bad happens there are always a few people who armed with the benefit of hindsight say "I told you that was going to happen".  Also there are always people with limited knowledge reporting all sorts of spurious issues. We have been warned to stop many times because "the canal is empty" but just find the level down an inch or two and a bit of bank exposed.

However we have friends who live very close to this breach and they are life long boaters so should know a bit about the canal, we usually go dog walking together whenever we pass through, and they have told us about this wet patch, its pretty common knowledge. If this failure is related to the wet patch then I would like to know if CaRT have investigated it and been doing suitable monitoring.

...........Dave

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Sadly, I feel we will have to get used to this sort of thing.

?

Not me.

I've now moved completely off the canals, its just getting to be too much hard work.

I know its a frowned upon suggestion, but I really can see the demise of the canals within a relatively few years, the current management are not sufficiently focussed on them, rather they are worrying about their image and getting more people to 'feel-good beside the water'.

Yes - I know all about the 'financial arguments' but spend the money you do have wisely and it will go further.

(My latest cruiser will not fit the canals anyway - so its rivers and coastal, and for the Catamaran is 'Offshore & Ocean')

Email received :

We’re writing to let you know about a culvert failure that occurred yesterday evening (12 June) on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. The canal is currently closed to navigation from Bridge 10 (Holmes Swing Bridge) near Burscough into Liverpool. Working through the night we’ve been able to build a clay dam at Bridge 10 and now water is flowing back into the canal. We’ll be working throughout today to secure the culvert and install dams either side of it.

We will have teams on site throughout the day to help those immediately affected. As we find out more we’ll post updates to this dedicated webpage. If your boat is on the same pound as the breach but are yet to hear from us, please call 03030 404040. Thanks for your patience as we work to make this wonderful stretch of canal fit for navigation once more.

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Email received :

We’re writing to let you know about a culvert failure that occurred yesterday evening (12 June) on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. The canal is currently closed to navigation from Bridge 10 (Holmes Swing Bridge) near Burscough into Liverpool. Working through the night we’ve been able to build a clay dam at Bridge 10 and now water is flowing back into the canal. We’ll be working throughout today to secure the culvert and install dams either side of it.

We will have teams on site throughout the day to help those immediately affected. As we find out more we’ll post updates to this dedicated webpage. If your boat is on the same pound as the breach but are yet to hear from us, please call 03030 404040. Thanks for your patience as we work to make this wonderful stretch of canal fit for navigation once more.

This is a bit confusing. Bridge 10 is nowhere near Burscough. It's on the Liverpool side of Maghull.  Burscough is however on the (very) long pound affected, but presumably the canal at Burscough will be back to normal fairly soon, as I'm heading for Rufford to sit and wait for news.

8 hours ago, rgreg said:

It's not good up North at the moment. Current stoppages:

1) Middlewich breach

2) Maghull breach

3) Lock 11 Marple

4) Anderton boat lift

5) Weston Marsh lock, Weaver

Anyone know of any decent hard standing where we put our boats? 

24 minutes ago, reg said:

Anyone know of any decent hard standing where we put our boats? 

But C&RT have already discounted the licence fee to allow for closures :

From the Licence T&Cs

9.2 The Licence fees are calculated on the assumption that you will be affected by closures from time to time and accordingly refunds of Licence fees will not be made for closures as described in this Condition 9.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

This is a bit confusing. Bridge 10 is nowhere near Burscough. It's on the Liverpool side of Maghull.  Burscough is however on the (very) long pound affected, but presumably the canal at Burscough will be back to normal fairly soon, as I'm heading for Rufford to sit and wait for news.

The breech is in Melling, which is past Maghull towards Liverpool, Burscough is the other side of Maghull, so not affected. It's nearer the bit where people moor up before doing the last leg to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

The breech is in Melling, which is past Maghull towards Liverpool, Burscough is the other side of Maghull, so not affected. It's nearer the bit where people moor up before doing the last leg to Liverpool.

Yes I know.  I was querying the CRT e-mail quoted by Alan, describing Bridge 10 as being near Burscough.  Also people were talking about 27 miles of canal being drained, which is obviously not the case.

37 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

We prefer to say Midlands..

Depends where you are.

I may well be north from where you are, but it is certainly not in "the north", at least in my mind it is firmly "the midlands" :)

Anyway it was only a tease, and it certainly is another closed canal due to infrastructure failure, of which there seem to be a few right now, but as other have said the signs are nice.  On that front I was actually quite shocked to see CRT bragging on Twitter today about replacing the signs on the Trent, seems insensitive to say the least.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I may well be north from where you are, but it is certainly not in "the north", at least in my mind it is firmly "the midlands" :)

It's east from where I am ?. There is Audlem too, that's a bit north of me.. and someone said that the Droitwich is empty? That's south of me.