Only ever had pump out loo.... whats the best casssette alternative?

Emja

Featured Posts

Hi all

New to the forum and to cassette loos!

I am just about to move back on board after a few years away from boating. I have always had a pump out loo but the new boat has a cassette toilet. 

The one on board is very old and needs replacing so not sure what to buy... do I look at an electric version (?!) or just a plain thetford casette £100 job?

Advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

:)

I favour the Thetford 165 type, cheap and cheerful. 

Lots like the c200, as it looks more like a proper bog. It has a smaller holding tank than the 165

A smaller tank is obviously lighter, which may influence your choice. 

Happy crapping, 

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I favour the Thetford 165 type, cheap and cheerful. 

Lots like the c200, as it looks more like a proper bog. It has a smaller holding tank than the 165

A smaller tank is obviously lighter, which may influence your choice. 

Happy crapping, 

Got the same , Thetford 165 is 21Litres...C200 is 17 Litres.

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Got the same , Thetford 165 is 21Litres...C200 is 17 Litres.

They are cheap enough (55 quid) to replace every few years,but could be a bit heavy for a girl (am i allowed to say that?) 

• Happy 1

Just now, cereal tiller said:

It is not Compulsory to fill the 21 L Cassette to the Brim Rusters , it could be filled to a Sub 17Litre level....

Doh, never thought of dat. Not sure mrs Rusty will appreciate being told to stop at 17 l though! 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Emja said:

Hi all

New to the forum and to cassette loos!

I am just about to move back on board after a few years away from boating. I have always had a pump out loo but the new boat has a cassette toilet. 

The one on board is very old and needs replacing so not sure what to buy... do I look at an electric version (?!) or just a plain thetford casette £100 job?

Advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

:)

Anything will be better than any pumpout so you are moving forward. Thetford are best, any of their models.

We went for the Thetford 565 - called the 'Excellence' until very recently - which I guess is a sort of halfway house between a basic 165-type Porta Potti and a 'proper' fitted, plumbed-in cassette loo like the C200. It's a bit closer to a domestic loo in appearance and seat height, but still portable and with the bigger 21l waste tank.

One thing to bear in mind is that - as far as I know anyway - you can buy spare cassettes for the C200 etc., but not spare waste tanks for Porta Potties like the 165 and 565. So if you want multiple tanks, you need to buy whole extra toilets - which isn't necessarily dearer than buying the C200 cassettes but does seem more wasteful (no pun intended!). Our solution was to look on Amazon for 'Warehouse Deals' on the loo we wanted - hence saving enough money compared to the RRP that we felt we didn't mind shelling out for a second loo just to get the spare tank. (Got a good deal too - c. £80 each for two good-as-new Excellences, which are normally more like £110+.)

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

And, assuming they're not ornamental cupboard fillers, where do they stack when full?

I have very rarely got on to the fourth but two full ones can be stacked on top of each other in the same cupboard ; a third would be a bit heavy so would sit on the floor at the back of the boat or semi- trad deck. 

Edited by rgreg

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

They are cheap enough (55 quid) to replace every few years,but could be a bit heavy for a girl (am i allowed to say that?) 

No.

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

And, assuming they're not ornamental cupboard fillers, where do they stack when full?

I agree. Get a pump out and only worry about your ablutions once a month! Cassettes are for cissies?

I use a Thetford C263 with a proper porcelain bowl. Got 3 cassettes that have wheels & handle. Lugging a smaller 17 litre cassette about is easier than a 21 litre cassette

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/toilets/cassette-toilets/thetford-c263-cassette-toilet-for-caravans-motorhomes/

Thetford_C250_Spare_Tank__01551.1395308650.255.255.jpg

Edited by Ssscrudddy

2 hours ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Lugging a smaller 17 litre cassette about is easier than a 21 litre cassette

As for storing multiple, spare, full cassettes, how is this different from storing one large tank that you don't even have to shift around?

It's lot easier not to lug cassettes around at all.

7 hours ago, Ssscrudddy said:

I use a Thetford C263 with a proper porcelain bowl. Got 3 cassettes that have wheels & handle. Lugging a smaller 17 litre cassette about is easier than a 21 litre cassette

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/toilets/cassette-toilets/thetford-c263-cassette-toilet-for-caravans-motorhomes/

Thetford_C250_Spare_Tank__01551.1395308650.255.255.jpg

Same here with a C263. When I bought the spare cassette, I found it was cheaper to buy a refresh kit (cassette and a toilet seat combined, maybe some other bits and pieces as well) rather than just the spare cassette on it's own.

1 minute ago, PeterF said:

Same here with a C263. When I bought the spare cassette, I found it was cheaper to buy a refresh kit (cassette and a toilet seat combined, maybe some other bits and pieces as well) rather than just the spare cassette on it's own.

I found the same with a C200. The refresh kit complete was considerably cheaper than a spare cassette. 

I've found these answers brilliant.  Thanks so much. 

I've just looked up a refresh kit now, so when I see the boat again I might get away with one of these. 

Thanks again for taking the time to answer ?