Fridge Coil Cooling

Old Son

Featured Posts

I have a 24V under counter fridge on the boat and I was thinking of installing a 24V computer fan in the floor and ducting it up to the coil. Problem is, my coil is on the top of the fridge. Does the team think a 24v x 80mm fan will move sufficient air through a duct to have any effect?

I attach a wiring diagram on the side of the fridge. Can anybody offer advice which wires I need to connect to ensure the fan only runs when the compressor runs?

Many thanks.

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

19 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I have a 24V under counter fridge on the boat and I was thinking of installing a 24V computer fan in the floor and ducting it up to the coil. Problem is, my coil is on the top of the fridge. Does the team think a 24v x 80mm fan will move sufficient air through a duct to have any effect?

I attach a wiring diagram on the side of the fridge. Can anybody offer advice which wires I need to connect to ensure the fan only runs when the compressor runs?

Many thanks.

That's what I did aeons ago with two 8" computer fans in series (parallel would have made a helluva noise....

I'm not convinced that in 20+ years it's made a blind bit of difference as the temperature of the 'fridge coil never gets more than 'hand hot' anyway! However, in my mind I've done what's best.....

Now with a super  efficient Liebherr 240v  fridge/freezer to replace the old Batts ditto, I'm going to do precisely the same - because it makes me feel that I've made some attempt to save a bit of energy 

Do carry on, as you'll ventilate the bilge at the very least which is A Good Thing and possibly it might save the energy required to run the fans in the first place...

Not rubbishing your efforts, but wondering MY actions in the first place!

Edited by OldGoat

Make sure the ducted air can get out at the top of the coils for the most efficiency. My fridge is also under the counter and the work top is cut away above the back of the fridge. There are vents in the floor underneath, so cool air is drawn up from the bilge, takes heat from the coil and the warmer air exits through the worktop cut out. No extra fans on mine, all natural convection. I have seen fridges on boats where the compressor is running all the time as the fridge and coils are basically boxed in with no air flow to the outside world. Can't help with which wires to use to switch the fans. If no one can answer, then monitor the voltage on each line in to the compressor till you find the right wire. Probably best to use an automotive relay with the coil connected to the fridge compressor signal to turn on the fans so you don't risk overloading the fridge wiring with an extra load it wasn't designed for.

Jen

45 minutes ago, sharpness said:

I'm no electrician but presumably the fan shown on the right of the wiring diagram runs when the compressor is running so use the terminals that fan is connected to if it is a 12v?24v fan ????????? 

Looks that way to me. The red and black wires immediately below the big fat red one on the third photo. (+ & F ? The photo’s none too clear).