CRT Little Venice moorings

Grassman

Featured Posts

We have a few nights booked at the CRT's Little Venice moorings later this month. I have searched in vain this forum for some photos and information so I was wondering if anybody here has any you could share please.

Here are my questions;

1. Are the moorings on the linear part or on the triangular part by the Paddington Arm Junction?

2. Are they actually right outside Rembrandt Gardens?

3. Are you required to breast up alongside another boat?

4. Are the moorings well signed and easy to spot?

Some photos and other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

They are beside the gardens - between the Regents Canal junction and the Paddington Basin Junction. There has only ever one boat deep when I have been there. They are not marked with any signs but they are fairly obvious. White bank with rings.

Edited by WJM

Not to breast up as the trip boat needs to pass IIRC.

Moor RIGHT OUTSIDE the Gardens, there will be a little plastic tag on the mooring ring with your inside leg measurement and the name of your boat.

Brilliant position.

image.png.0c5363e0e8b200349dfdf8e6acacb978.png

Edited by mark99

The are two spots on the East side of the pool, North mooring is (single) narrowboat only, South can be breasted (can't be done online for the second boat) or widebeam - as Mark99 says, 'cos the tripboats pass between the moorings and island.

Dave

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

We have a few nights booked at the CRT's Little Venice moorings later this month. I have searched in vain this forum for some photos and information so I was wondering if anybody here has any you could share please.

Here are my questions;

1. Are the moorings on the linear part or on the triangular part by the Paddington Arm Junction?

2. Are they actually right outside Rembrandt Gardens?

3. Are you required to breast up alongside another boat?

4. Are the moorings well signed and easy to spot?

Some photos and other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

As a matter of interest, is there a charge now for these moorings? The reason I ask is I have tried on each occasion to book them each time we visited Paddington (admittedly just a few days before we arrive). Booking has been free, but according to our he web site booking it has also always been full. When we got to Paddington there were no boats on the reserved mooring which was very irritating. 

4 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

As a matter of interest, is there a charge now for these moorings? The reason I ask is I have tried on each occasion to book them each time we visited Paddington (admittedly just a few days before we arrive). Booking has been free, but according to our he web site booking it has also always been full. When we got to Paddington there were no boats on the reserved mooring which was very irritating. 

CRT web site https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/boating-facilities/pre-booked-visitor-moorings-in-london says £10 per night.

18 hours ago, Derek Porteous said:

£10 a night isn’t bad. Much as I hate parting with money, far better to have a financial commitment, so boaters who have reserved space actually turn up!! Anyway, we will give it another go next month. Thanks for the link.

I'd prefer a deposit scheme for the no-show issue. We've paid for CRT mooring rights in our licence fees so I'd hate this charge to be the thin end of the wedge.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd prefer a deposit scheme for the no-show issue. We've paid for CRT mooring rights in our licence fees so I'd hate this charge to be the thin end of the wedge.

There's also a charge for all visiting boats in Llangollen - was £6 a night when I went a few years ago. You did get free electricity though...

I think the difference is that you just turn up at Llangollen and they charge you £6 a night (including electricity) whilst you have to pay £10 at Little Venice for the booking. There is usually plenty of space at Llangollen, whilst Little Venice/Paddington Basin is usually quite full (and I guess nowhere entirely safe to run to if you arrive late afternoon with no room at the inn).

• Greenie 1

PS do you know about the mysteries of Oystercard? 

You can get one for travelling around London, on trains, buses, Docklands Light railway, tubes, and river buses.  You should get just as good a deal (automatic daily capping on what you are charged) using contactless debit cards. Buying individual tickets costs about twice as much.

12 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS do you know about the mysteries of Oystercard? 

You can get one for travelling around London, on trains, buses, Docklands Light railway, tubes, and river buses.  You should get just as good a deal (automatic daily capping on what you are charged) using contactless debit cards. Buying individual tickets costs about twice as much.

Oyster Cards are fading away now - A Contactless Debit Card is the way to go. No purchase price (An empty Oyster Card costs £5) and no need to keep topping them up.

21 minutes ago, WJM said:

Oyster Cards are fading away now - A Contactless Debit Card is the way to go. No purchase price (An empty Oyster Card costs £5) and no need to keep topping them up.

Not just debit cards you can use credit cards as well.  Don't really see the point of oyster cards anymore except for kids and the like that don't have any bank cards.

Just now, john6767 said:

Not just debit cards you can use credit cards as well.  Don't really see the point of oyster cards anymore except for kids and the like that don't have any bank cards.

I totally agree. The Oyster Card is really only a niche thing now.

Kids can get a special version of Oyster called Zip which ensures that they are only charged kids fares. You will notice these cards when you get on a bus because the reader beeps twice, causing the bus driver to look and see if it is being used by a child.

Very clever, but as far as I know none of my cards are contactless.

Am I the only person who thinks they are unsafe, though I can see the benefit on commuter trains  etc.

Do you clock in and out like an oystercard 

Edited by LadyG

So I keep  my Oystercard, with automatic top-up, because:

* it's much less of a problem (and financial risk) if I lose it. It just doesn't seem a very good idea to get a debit/credit card out in a crowded place

* you get a nice summary at the end of the month so you can see where you have been 

* it's much easier for claiming refunds for incomplete journeys, and other errors

* the online account enables me to offer advice to family members on more efficient ways of completing their journey.

Some family members think the last point is a disadvantage ...

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

* it's much less of a problem (and financial risk) if I lose it. It just doesn't seem a very good idea to get a debit/credit card out in a crowded place

* you get a nice summary at the end of the month so you can see where you have been 

* it's much easier for claiming refunds for incomplete journeys, and other errors

* the online account enables me to offer advice to family members on more efficient ways of completing their journey.

OK I can see that level of detail can be useful for a regular user, and I do get the security point.  For an irregular visitor like me, the credit card is just so simple, nothing to think about.

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Very clever, but as far as I know none of my cards are contactless.

Am I the only person who thinks they are unsafe, though I can see the benefit on commuter trains  etc.

Do you clock in and out like an oystercard 

Are you sure that they are not contactless, they have a symbol on the from like a wi-fi symbol.  Yes, you clock in and out just like with an oyster card.

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

If you register your contactless card with TfL you can view your journey data, payments, daily capping, deal with incomplete journeys (or non-working card readers) etc. I use mine for business travel.  Its easy to get a printout of trips to submit with my expenses claim.