Insurance cover for a first boat

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, KevMc said:

Towergate were ridiculously expensive when they quoted for me in May. I stayed with EuroMarine and saved well over £100

Towergate seem to want silly money these days ........... I deserted them several years ago for that reason!

This thread is perfect timing for me as I will need insurance soon.

Will I need to have a boat survey done to get insurance with any of the companies mentioned? The boat could be 30+ years old and not worth more than £10,000

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul HD

2 minutes ago, Paul HD said:

The boat could be 30+ years old

Then more than like they will require a hull survey by a qualified surveyor. 

Last I checked, these people would insure upto 40 years without a survey (check first though) 

https://www.insure4boats.co.uk/?ref=ppcgi4b247&gclid=CMPnx5fy7NMCFdXNGwodWOEOag&gclsrc=aw.ds

11 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

Many thanks, I must confess to being more than a touch concerned at the lack of any detailed questions when speaking to Craft Insure. Saga (they have my car, contents etc) were very detailed.....but who knows. I think I may end with Towergate or Saga (they offered legal cover also).

appreciate the time and advice from all ?

I switched to Saga about 10 years ago because they offered exactly the same cover with the same underwriters as my previous insurers (Nautical) but without the £20 'administration fee'. They have never asked for a survey on my 30 year old boat, which is odd because they once refused to insure my house because it was too old, and were nowhere near the cheapest for the car.  One of the best things about Saga is that you almost always get through straight away to a real person.

Edited to say that connecting tideways are included - I've been up and down the tidal Trent and Ouse and other stretches on this policy.

11 hours ago, Dunworkin said:
Edited by Mac of Cygnet