Cost per kWh, in the UK?

Asia_Off_Grid

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Asia_Off_Grid said:

I notice a number of posts regarding using shore power. This caused me to ask, what is the typical cost for shore power, in the UK? 

Here, the cost of electricity can vary from $.195¢ US, up to $.50¢ US, per kWh.

Resellers have to charge the same as they pay - so around 10p per kWh depending on their bargaining capability usually based on how much they are buying.  They can however make a standing charge for use of the infrastructure to provide connection, which for occasional users will dwarf the unit charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pay any standing charge for electricity at the marina.

The charge was 14p per kWh +5% VAT recently - which is probably cheaper than at home. And we use less electricity when on the boat.

We often say staying over on the boat saves us money !

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I pay a standing charge of £150 a year on one of my moorings, and my usage is microscopic. So that's about £150.13 per KwHr

I guess some way or another there is a standing charge to be paid. In my case it is no doubt hidden in with the mooring fees.

£150 a year seems a high amount.

It is illegal to profit  from the sale of electricity and standing charges . If the owner of the mooring has to pay a standing charge it should be divided among the  tennents . You may be entitled to a refund should you wish to pursue it.

On the other hand you may not wish to fall out with your supplier .

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I guess some way or another there is a standing charge to be paid. In my case it is no doubt hidden in with the mooring fees.

It is illegal to profit  from the sale of electricity and standing charges . If the owner of the mooring has to pay a standing charge it should be divided among the  tennents . You may be entitled to a refund should you wish to pursue it.

True. On the other hand the cost of installation and maintenance of an electrical supply to every mooring is a substantial proportion of the cost of running a marina in the first place. 

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It is illegal to profit  from the sale of electricity and standing charges 

But it is not illegal to levy a standing charge to cover the cost of the installation and maintenance of the electricity supply, which could be in the tens of thousands. 

51 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The charge for installation and maintenance is not regulated and anything up to £100 (each unit) per annum is 'considered acceptable', above that and questions 'may be asked'.

I charge our users £30 per annum

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

But it is not illegal to levy a standing charge to cover the cost of the installation and maintenance of the electricity supply, which could be in the tens of thousands. 

I’d have thought materials alone to install 16a supplies to say 200 berths would approach a six figure sum

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’d have thought materials alone to install 16a supplies to say 200 berths would approach a six figure sum

Yup, I’d agree. Amortise that over, oh, say 10 years, and you get maybe £30k per annum, divided by 200 berths and voilá, £150 pa. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, I’d agree. Amortise that over, oh, say 10 years, and you get maybe £30k per annum, divided by 200 berths and voilá, £150 pa. 

Yes. I wasn’t complaining about my 150 a year standing charge, just commenting on the substantial cost involved. Probably the same again for the labour. 

Boater moan about standing charges. Some of them think the wires and pylons get there by happy chance, at no cost to anyone. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. I wasn’t complaining about my 150 a year standing charge, just commenting on the substantial cost involved. Probably the same again for the labour. 

Boater moan about standing charges. Some of them think the wires and pylons get there by happy chance, at no cost to anyone. 

Yeah, £12/month is sod all in the greater scheme of things. 

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I pay a standing charge of £150 a year on one of my moorings, and my usage is microscopic. So that's about £150.13 per KwHr

One marina wanted me to pay that and I didn't have any need for a hock up, in the end they removed it from the account. The first comment was it was there it was up to me if I used it

In  a marina the berthing fees should and do normally include for everything necessary regarding infrastructure .  That includes the pontoon , water , cutting the grass, electrical infrastructure , car parking, security lighting , staff wages etc…….

At my mooring in a marina I  am not charged specifically for the installation and maintenance of electrical infrastructure  nor do I pay a penny one way or another regardless of how much water I use  nor the use of toilets and showers ashore – it is all rolled into the  annual (or monthly)  berthing fee.

Electricity suppliers make a standing charge and a charge per unit or energy consumed. It is illegal for a re-seller to profit for marking up the utility companies standing charge or the cost per unit.

I did not mean to infer it was illegal to charge for mooring a boat  and for that charge to include all infrastructure (including electrical infrastructure) whether specifically stated on an invoice or not.

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

In  a marina the berthing fees should and do normally include for everything necessary regarding infrastructure .  That includes the pontoon , water , cutting the grass, electrical infrastructure , car parking, security lighting , staff wages etc…….

At my mooring in a marina I  am not charged specifically for the installation and maintenance of electrical infrastructure  nor do I pay a penny one way or another regardless of how much water I use  nor the use of toilets and showers ashore – it is all rolled into the  annual (or monthly)  berthing fee.

Electricity suppliers make a standing charge and a charge per unit or energy consumed. It is illegal for a re-seller to profit for marking up the utility companies standing charge or the cost per unit.

I did not mean to infer it was illegal to charge for mooring a boat  and for that charge to include all infrastructure (including electrical infrastructure) whether specifically stated on an invoice or not.

I thought that most marinas broke out the electrical infrastructure charge, ours certainly does.  Not everyone is going to want electricity, so lumping it in seems a bit unfair.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I thought that most marinas broke out the electrical infrastructure charge, ours certainly does.  Not everyone is going to want electricity, so lumping it in seems a bit unfair.

That’s certainly my understanding. Some include it, most have it separate. 

And it has nothing to do with ‘making a profit by marking up the utility company’s standing charge’. 

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If the electricity has been brought to the berth the infra structure has been paid for.  A moorer who doesn't want electricity may (NB just may) be preventing the marina from getting standing charge for said infra structure.  Surely the charge should either be lumped in the mooring fee or charged to everyone.  The marina has had to pay to provide the facility just because you don't use it doesn't say you shouldn't pay for it.  Just as people pay in "rates" for services they may not use.

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

Ours certainly doesn't break out the infrastructure charge.

I have only kept a boat in the one marina, other than as a very short term visitor.

I don't think there can be many people in our marina would not want mains electricity as few boats  are so small that they have no accommodation space . Mains electricity  just make life easier . For example I leave the fridge on full time and hot water is soon created using the immersion heater . In the winter I use a dehumidifier while the boat is vacated  and frost protection heaters when necessary , electric blanket on the bed.

The electrical socket is right there next to each boat . If people don't use it that's their choice.