Stern gland replacement

Featured Posts

Back off the ring closest to the gearbox all the way until it comes free from the fixed portion. There are spanners made for the job I have a set if not whack the thing round with a hammer and big screwdriver of cold chisel ? you made need to hold the other end with some stilsons on similar, its easier than you think. ENSURE you dig out all the remaining packing before replacing. Also ensure you buy the correct size packing, someone else will hopefuly tell you how to size it correctly. Put at least three rings of packing in cutting them so they neatly touch at each end and stagger the joiny bits to assist keeping water at bay. Put grease in and tighten up etc etc then lock the two together. Edit to add YES read Tonys site ?

Edited by mrsmelly

There are two ring things there with radial holes, loosen the one to the left of the picture which is a locking ring, then fully undo the other (the collar). However it does look a bit tight with that blue coupling there, you may need to move that first to allow the collar to slide along far enough. Once you have gained access, remove old stuff with something hooked (crochet needle sounds like a good idea), replace packing (probably 3 rings of correct-sized stuff) and put everything back. Tighten the collar only slightly, so the prop shaft is still free to rotate. Lock it in place with the smaller ring (on the left).

Edited by nicknorman

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That blue coupling is a thrust bearing. I agree it looks a bit tight but the inner track is probably recessed a bit so   I doubt it needs removing. Dam poor installation if it does.

Well I was right about it being blue!