Anyone know what this is ?

Timx

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

We have used them in the past with no problems, I prefer them to the 'nappy pin'

We use goat chains instead these days

Richard

I prefer this type, best used on a tight mooring line though. Less prone to that annoying clonk with the nappy pin sort 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think that is even as easy as a goat chain. 

I'd like to come up with a design with no moving parts that you just drop in. Like a nappy pin or piling hook does, that actually works

I was thinking of something like the nappy pin, but you could secure by closing off the hole part.   Perhaps instead of the screw clamp part it could be a spring lever like on a Carabiner.

Edited by Robbo

Chain with carabiner so as to make the loop, then mooring line through carabiner and back to boat: then pull the lines as tight or slack as you want. My preference was always for nice and tight, with slim tube fenders down for a peaceful quiet night. :) 

Also various lengths of mooring pins for those times when you simply can’t find a free section of armco, having arrived too late at a good mooring spot.

ETA , nappy pins work OK, but the clanking put me off using them, though as has been mentioned, keep a pair in a locker somewhere as they can be useful. EG when arriving at armco in the p*ssing rain/snow, just pass line through nappy pin and chuck it behind Armco, tie off and repeat at other end, then get inside and warm up.

Edited by Stilllearning

When armco was first used I had a blackmith fuse weldd a round ring on one end of a length of chain( big enough to pass the mooring rope through)& an oval ring on the other end big enough to pass the round ring through when turned end on Round ring down behind angle & through oval ring pull to snug up, rope through round ring & back to boat nothing loose *detachable" to mislay complete bit of kit so all there ever timehad 4 done to combat "Sods" law & still had 4 when I sold the boat

16 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

When armco was first used I had a blackmith fuse weldd a round ring on one end of a length of chain( big enough to pass the mooring rope through)& an oval ring on the other end big enough to pass the round ring through when turned end on Round ring down behind angle & through oval ring pull to snug up, rope through round ring & back to boat nothing loose *detachable" to mislay complete bit of kit so all there ever timehad 4 done to combat "Sods" law & still had 4 when I sold the boat

Sounds like a goat chain to me

I use my 'goat ropes' on piling - a couple of lengths of old rope with spliced loops at each end.  They taught me the rudiments of splicing, cost nothing, and don't rattle.  You'd think they would wear, but after 2 years there's little sign, and there's plenty more where they came from.

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I use my 'goat ropes' on piling - a couple of lengths of old rope with spliced loops at each end.  They taught me the rudiments of splicing, cost nothing, and don't rattle.  You'd think they would wear, but after 2 years there's little sign, and there's plenty more where they came from.

I do a quick and easy version of just making a loop with some old rope and putting the loop through it self around the Armco.

7 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

My boat came with these which look even more useless, anyone know what they are for?

20180610_090328.jpg

Actually they are not as crap as you might think. If you use them for mooring to Armco you put them through the Armco then take the mooring line from the boat around the top (hooked end) come out around to the bottom of the Armco and then around the bottom of the 'pin' and lead back to the boat where you then tie off. There is no way on earth of it coming undone (unless you are crap at tying knots) and when you come to leave the mooring you just pull the pin out from the top and it all comes free. The only downside is that if some muppet thinks it funny to cast you off, that is all they need to do as well?

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

That is exactly what the “goat chains” achieve, except they have one small and one large ring, the small ring will go through the large ring.

24 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I must be doing something wrong!   I have never had a "nappy pin" fail and haven't heard the knock when boats pass.   What am I doing wrong?

If you find out, let me know because I am doing it too

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

If you find out, let me know because I am doing it too

Yes let me know how too, as I'd like to use them and find the boat still there when I come back like you and Jerra seem to!

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes let me know how too, as I'd like to use them and find the boat still there when I come back like you and Jerra seem to!

Use goat chains

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I do.

And I'd like to find a way to make nappy pins reliable.

I started a thread here on this exact point about five years ago! Nobody had any answers.

I can't see that this will make any difference

I use goat chains these days, I used to use the kind of hooks in the OP. We have some of the other kind, which don't seem to work as well

Find a bit of Armco* which has a bolt head in it, and put the hook into the next slot away from the boat (otherwise the hook could spring the Armco and wedge the hook/goatchain/rope). This slot should be a good distance ahead of/behind the boat so the mooring line is at a shallow angle to the bank. Make sure the hook has the barb under the Armco rail. Run the mooring line from the boat, through the hook and back to the boat, tie off with the lines tight

No doubt exactly what you do

Richard

*Yeah, I know. It isn't Armco - it's probably Mabey sheeting, and the horizontal bit is the waling strip

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

No doubt exactly what you do

I do (or did) exactly as you describe. In every detail. 

I pretty soon converted to goat chains having on repeated occasions come back to find the boat swinging lazily in the channel, held insecurely by just one line and nappy pin. The other pin dragging loosely around in the cut. Hence my sharp interest when someone says nappy pins work fine for them.  

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I do (or did) exactly as you describe. In every detail. 

I pretty soon converted to goat chains having on repeated occasions come back to find the boat swinging lazily in the channel, held insecurely by just one line and nappy pin. The other pin dragging loosely around in the cut. Hence my sharp interest when someone says nappy pins work fine for them.  

Define 'nappy pin'

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This:

119_big.jpg

The related device shown in the OP is in my opinion, a 'piling hook'.

(Mind you, they fall out just as easily!)

OK, my experience is with piling hooks, not nappy pins. I still can't explain your incompetence