Anyone know what this is ?

Timx

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

It is a piling hook for mooring to piling, and alternative to the more common “nappy pin” type.

And a complete waste of space. Bin it.

4 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

My boat came with these which look even more useless, anyone know what they are for?

20180610_090328.jpg

Mooring spikes. Perhaps the loop is to help pull them out

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Mooring spikes. Perhaps the loop is to help pull them out

Richard

The loop is to prevent the rope sliding off the top when the spike leans over, but you are correct, it does give you something to pull on when you want them out.

13 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi, I found this on boat , alongside mooring pins etc, I don't know if it's anything boaty ! Can anyone tell me what it is , if anything ?

image.jpeg

They are not completely useless. We have three we keep as backup to Safety pins and goat chains. And Stakes/Pins.

Just in case you understand.

I have had boats come loose with both nappy pins and those piling hooks in the OP, so neither design can be trusted. Also, they make a loud clanking noise each time a boat passes and the tension on the bow and stern mooring lines reverses. 

I think it should not be beyond the wit of man to design a mooring device to securely engage on the horizontal rail on piled banks. I can do it though, despite many hours of idle musing on how.

38 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

They are not completely useless. We have three we keep as backup to Safety pins and goat chains. And Stakes/Pins.

Just in case you understand.

Also if your single handed they come in useful for quickly mooring until you get your chains on.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have had boats come loose with both nappy pins and those piling hooks in the OP, so neither design can be trusted. Also, they make a loud clanking noise each time a boat passes and the tension on the bow and stern mooring lines reverses. 

I think it should not be beyond the wit of man to design a mooring device to securely engage on the horizontal rail on piled banks. I can do it though, despite many hours of idle musing on how.

Big U clamps and chains. :D Or a chain and a Carabiner.

See the source image
220px-Assorted_Biners.jpg
Edited by Ray T

51 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

They are well under a foot long and proper spikes were also supplied new with the boat.

You could use them to through the hole of your main pins at a 90° angle.  This will help your main pins from coming loose with the boat movement.

Edited by Robbo

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Big U clamps and chains. :D Or a chain and a Carabiner.

See the source image
220px-Assorted_Biners.jpg

Well goat chins do the job perfectly well and very securely. 

I meant something as quick and easy to drop into the armco like a nappy pin, but actually and genuinely secure. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well goat chins do the job perfectly well and very securely. 

I meant something as quick and easy to drop into the armco like a nappy pin, but actually and genuinely secure. 

Something Like...

https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/faithfull-deep-throat-g-clamp-200mm-8in-cap-85mm-3in.html

Basically drop over the Armco and then tighten up to secure

Edited by Robbo