Im flippin knackered

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

Solo boater, 16 miles, 20 locks 1 swing bridge, and 10 hours.

I think i'll sleep well tonight!

only a few more miles to my destination tomorrow, and then a well earned rest!

Where the locks wide or narrow ?

7 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Where the locks wide or narrow ?

I’d say they must have been narrow. A wide lock set against me takes 30-45 minutes to clear boating single handed, so that alone adds up to more than ten hours!

Good going all the same!!

P.S. Hatton however are quicker. A delight to operate single handed compared to here on the k&a.

43 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

An awful lot of turns on each paddle at Hatton though.

The ‘lot of turns’ on a Hatton paddle are still a whole load easier and quicker than pretty much any k&a lock. 

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The ‘lot of turns’ on a Hatton paddle are still a whole load easier and quicker than pretty much any k&a lock. 

The Hatton gets my vote as well in comparison the the K & A. If you open the paddle on the side the boat is 'moored' (going up) the water flow does exactly what you'd expect and holds the boat to the side, on the K & A it just blasts the boat all over the shop.

51 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The Hatton gets my vote as well in comparison the the K & A. If you open the paddle on the side the boat is 'moored' (going up) the water flow does exactly what you'd expect and holds the boat to the side, on the K & A it just blasts the boat all over the shop.

Agreed. You have to cautiously and partly open one then the other, wait a bit then open them fully. Alternatively tie the bow line as tight as you can to a bollard and whack 'em both fully open. You still have to pray your tee stud is strong enough though. 

Either way, it leads to more delay.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes, opening the paddle on the same side has the effect of a bow thruster, even when opened quickly. The only minor gripe on this flight is the tendency for the gates to open after you have closed them, not unique to Hatton but consistent all the way up!

Well done to the Op. sounds like a good days boating. 

I agree about the way the Hatton paddles help. The K&A locks are horrible, but I suspect my memory of the bad paddles has been erased, and other things about the K&A are uppermost, such as the leaky gates, annoying swing bridges, low water levels and needing a long plank when mooring. My mooring was at Great Bedwyn in the 90s.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed. You have to cautiously and partly open one then the other, wait a bit then open them fully. Alternatively tie the bow line as tight as you can to a bollard and whack 'em both fully open. You still have to pray your tee stud is strong enough though. 

Either way, it leads to more delay.

That was the method I eventually used (having tried most of the others:unsure:) but even then as the boat rises in the lock you have to keep adjusting the bow line since,as it slackens, the bow still gets blasted across the lock. T-stud seemed to have survived the experience though (I think it tends to be a sudden shock rather than an increase in tension on it that causes failure).

Know what those days are like. Did Brentford to Hackney in a day a few weeks ago. I forget how many locks, I don't think as many but the distance was about the same. It killed me.

Edited by Guest

On 10/06/2018 at 13:29, Stilllearning said:

I agree about the way the Hatton paddles help. The K&A locks are horrible, but I suspect my memory of the bad paddles has been erased, and other things about the K&A are uppermost, such as the leaky gates, annoying swing bridges, low water levels and needing a long plank when mooring. My mooring was at Great Bedwyn in the 90s.

Nothing changes.