Asking a mod to do something “helpful”

Featured Posts

2 days ago I “reported” a technical/theoretical post in the middle of a thread helping someone with electrical problems, and asked for it to be moved to a new thread so I could challenge the errors of science without cluttering up the thread and confusing the OP. But nothing happened. Do Mods still monitor “Reports”? I seem to recall doing something similar not so long ago with the same (non) result. Obviously mods are all volunteers but if they don’t have time to move/tidy things on request it would be better if we knew.

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Obviously they like you more than they like me!

I suspect merging two threads is a click of a button, but splitting a thread requires the thread-to-be-split to be actually carefully read and understood. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

However it wouldn't take but a few secs. to pm back and say why nothing has been actioned.

Yes the mods are volunteers but surely if one volunteers one expects to do at least some work? Otherwise whats the point?

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Why not copy the posts you wish to discuss into a new thread, quicker than asking a mod to do it and eliminates any confusion if the mod splits more or less than you intended?

The problem with that is that it would still leave the post containing the errors of science in the original thread, seemingly unchallenged.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The problem with that is that it would still leave the post containing the errors of science in the original thread, seemingly unchallenged.

But presumably you could write an answer to it on that thread which says it is "arguable" and that you've started a new thread called "it" where it is duscussed more fully?

22 hours ago, nicknorman said:

2 days ago I “reported” a technical/theoretical post in the middle of a thread helping someone with electrical problems, and asked for it to be moved to a new thread so I could challenge the errors of science without cluttering up the thread and confusing the OP. But nothing happened. Do Mods still monitor “Reports”? I seem to recall doing something similar not so long ago with the same (non) result. Obviously mods are all volunteers but if they don’t have time to move/tidy things on request it would be better if we knew.

I'm not excusing it - I saw the report and was intending to action it, but was also about to do something else more important (sorry there are such things) so went away intending to look at it it later, I then forgot as I went to look at other reports that had come in. Reports come in spikes, and we tend to act quickly if someone has gone big time into abusive mode with personal threats etc. Even then it depends on who is logged in and sees it, it may take a few hours for any mod to see a report, or two may see it within minutes. If something is really bad we'll lock/hide first even if we haven't time to do "the paperwork"

Nick, your report was in the middle of three or four that needed more urgent action - I fully intended to deal with it but it got lost, sorry

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect merging two threads is a click of a button, but splitting a thread requires the thread-to-be-split to be actually carefully read and understood. 

This is very true

22 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Some weeks ago I "reported" a thread as being a duplicate with a request the two were merged. It was actioned within 24 hours.

1st Ade is also Magpie the older sibling - this doesn't always get him anywhere though! :P