Deep locks

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Wonder how many locks on the UK system there arelike that one Leak Free?

Only a trickle coming from this one at Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal which the Lockie advised us was the deepest in the UK

IMG_4867.JPG.efec36f4a70bd6a0ad2abb218178003e.JPG

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Im in bath deep lock tomorrow so will have a squint to see if its dry!!

Well, if someone is coming down behind, you may have more water than you bargained for!

A wall of water will be teaming straight over the top gates heading straight towards your back cabin!

Don't ask me how i know this!

Nipper

PS, You may have to help the crew to close the gates as they were big tough old sods when i went through last!

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

Only a trickle coming from this one at Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal which the Lockie advised us was the deepest in the UK

IMG_4867.JPG.efec36f4a70bd6a0ad2abb218178003e.JPG

Yes, it is supposed to be the deepest, I believe due to it replacing two locks that were lost when the canal was filled in.

16 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

My better half doesn’t like deep locks but fortunately she forgets where they are so today she had a surprise at the lock into the canal du centre France.

30A2766B-6B2F-45E1-B4FF-8158A4F3BABE.jpeg

Impressive - which end of the canal (and how deep)?

I take it the rest are more moderate rise?

This lock is where the canal meets the R. Soane at Chalon sur Soane, it’s 10.76m rise. The canal was modernised to try and speed up the coal traffic and this lock was built instead of the 5 which went down through the city. Many locks were taken out and 5m deep ones put in place, all with floating bollards. All locks apart from the big one are automatic. Unfortunately by the time the work was done the traffic had pretty well finished and the mines are closed. 

Now it’s part of a good route from the Siene to the Rhône but only a very rare 38m peniche uses it.

On 09/06/2018 at 18:08, Dav and Pen said:

My better half doesn’t like deep locks but fortunately she forgets where they are so today she had a surprise at the lock into the canal du centre France.

How does she feel about lock 2 at Rechicourt le Château on the Marne au Rhin canal? I've not got a photo to hand but it's 15.38m - there was a 15m hire boat in with us last time through, and they said they hoped there was another way back to the base that avoided it ?

Tam

44 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Stechovice on the Vlatava in the Czech Republic has a fall of 20.1 metres.

What's impressive about that one is that it has mitre gates - (Though not balance beams, thankfully!)

17 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

This lock is where the canal meets the R. Soane at Chalon sur Soane, it’s 10.76m rise. The canal was modernised to try and speed up the coal traffic and this lock was built instead of the 5 which went down through the city. Many locks were taken out and 5m deep ones put in place, all with floating bollards. All locks apart from the big one are automatic. Unfortunately by the time the work was done the traffic had pretty well finished and the mines are closed. 

Now it’s part of a good route from the Siene to the Rhône but only a very rare 38m peniche uses it.

Stop it! My retirement cruising plans are having to be completely rewritten because of your picture!:lol:

On 09/06/2018 at 19:56, mrsmelly said:

Im in bath deep lock tomorrow so will have a squint to see if its dry!!

I think it was leaking a bit when I went through a few years ago.

Bath and North East Somerset-20130505-00283.jpg

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

image.png.388963b58b860922a5ffe13a9f1446ca.png

That ladder is scary!

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, mark99 said:

That’s bonkers Mike.

Do you know where it is and why the crud line is at an intermediate level?

Perhaps hedging bets on the next “action”?

Or is the far wall higher than the near one?

6 minutes ago, gbclive said:

That’s bonkers Mike.

Do you know where it is and why the crud line is at an intermediate level?

Perhaps hedging bets on the next “action”?

Or is the far wall higher than the near one?

Ardnacrusha on the River Shannon in Ireland.

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

That is mental. I don't mind slippy lock ladders but wouldn't want to do that.

On 10/06/2018 at 20:30, Dav and Pen said:

The same happened in this country, locks on the Aire electrified and the "new" aqueduct at Stanley ferry so little used, it's still under extended warranty.  Great infrastructure, no more coal.

53 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Ardnacrusha on the River Shannon in Ireland.

Thanks David.

Found some more info and pics here:

https://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-lower-shannon/shannon-south/the-esb-lock-at-ardnacrusha/

Edited by gbclive
Link added