Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

My better half doesn’t like deep locks but fortunately she forgets where they are so today she had a surprise at the lock into the canal du centre France.

30A2766B-6B2F-45E1-B4FF-8158A4F3BABE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how many locks on the UK system there arelike that one Leak Free?

Edited by X Alan W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Wonder how many locks on the UK system there arelike that one Leak Free?

Well Middlewich Big Lock takes longer to fill since they fixed the top gates

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Wonder how many locks on the UK system there arelike that one Leak Free?

Only a trickle coming from this one at Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal which the Lockie advised us was the deepest in the UK

 

IMG_4867.JPG.efec36f4a70bd6a0ad2abb218178003e.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im in bath deep lock tomorrow so will have a squint to see if its dry!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All locks should have a little leak through the gates so that I can see if the lock is empty or not as I approach.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Im in bath deep lock tomorrow so will have a squint to see if its dry!!

Well, if someone is coming down behind, you may have more water than you bargained for!

A wall of water will be teaming straight over the top gates heading straight towards your back cabin!

Don't ask me how i know this!

Nipper

PS, You may have to help the crew to close the gates as they were big tough old sods when i went through last!

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick D said:

Only a trickle coming from this one at Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal which the Lockie advised us was the deepest in the UK

 

IMG_4867.JPG.efec36f4a70bd6a0ad2abb218178003e.JPG

Yes, it is supposed to be the deepest, I believe due to it replacing two locks that were lost when the canal was filled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well Middlewich Big Lock takes longer to fill since they fixed the top gates

 

That's because they haven't fixed the leak in the bottom gates.

  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

My better half doesn’t like deep locks but fortunately she forgets where they are so today she had a surprise at the lock into the canal du centre France.

30A2766B-6B2F-45E1-B4FF-8158A4F3BABE.jpeg

Impressive - which end of the canal (and how deep)?

 

I take it the rest are more moderate rise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This lock is where the canal meets the R. Soane at Chalon sur Soane, it’s 10.76m rise. The canal was modernised to try and speed up the coal traffic and this lock was built instead of the 5 which went down through the city. Many locks were taken out and 5m deep ones put in place, all with floating bollards. All locks apart from the big one are automatic. Unfortunately by the time the work was done the traffic had pretty well finished and the mines are closed. 

Now it’s part of a good route from the Siene to the Rhône but only a very rare 38m peniche uses it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2018 at 18:08, Dav and Pen said:

My better half doesn’t like deep locks but fortunately she forgets where they are so today she had a surprise at the lock into the canal du centre France.

How does she feel about lock 2 at Rechicourt le Château on the Marne au Rhin canal? I've not got a photo to hand but it's 15.38m - there was a 15m hire boat in with us last time through, and they said they hoped there was another way back to the base that avoided it ?

Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stechovice on the Vlatava in the Czech Republic has a fall of 20.1 metres.

Stechowice.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Stechovice on the Vlatava in the Czech Republic has a fall of 20.1 metres.

 

What's impressive about that one is that it has mitre gates - (Though not balance beams, thankfully!)

 

17 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

This lock is where the canal meets the R. Soane at Chalon sur Soane, it’s 10.76m rise. The canal was modernised to try and speed up the coal traffic and this lock was built instead of the 5 which went down through the city. Many locks were taken out and 5m deep ones put in place, all with floating bollards. All locks apart from the big one are automatic. Unfortunately by the time the work was done the traffic had pretty well finished and the mines are closed. 

Now it’s part of a good route from the Siene to the Rhône but only a very rare 38m peniche uses it.

Stop it! My retirement cruising plans are having to be completely rewritten because of your picture!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2018 at 19:56, mrsmelly said:

Im in bath deep lock tomorrow so will have a squint to see if its dry!!

I think it was leaking a bit when I went through a few years ago.

Bath and North East Somerset-20130505-00283.jpg

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

 

 

 

image.png.388963b58b860922a5ffe13a9f1446ca.png

That ladder is scary!

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mark99 said:

 

 

 

image.png.388963b58b860922a5ffe13a9f1446ca.png

That’s bonkers Mike.

Do you know where it is and why the crud line is at an intermediate level?

Perhaps hedging bets on the next “action”?

Or is the far wall higher than the near one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gbclive said:

That’s bonkers Mike.

Do you know where it is and why the crud line is at an intermediate level?

Perhaps hedging bets on the next “action”?

Or is the far wall higher than the near one?

Ardnacrusha on the River Shannon in Ireland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mark99 said:

 

 

 

image.png.388963b58b860922a5ffe13a9f1446ca.png

That is mental. I don't mind slippy lock ladders but wouldn't want to do that.

 

On 10/06/2018 at 20:30, Dav and Pen said:

This lock is where the canal meets the R. Soane at Chalon sur Soane, it’s 10.76m rise. The canal was modernised to try and speed up the coal traffic and this lock was built instead of the 5 which went down through the city. Many locks were taken out and 5m deep ones put in place, all with floating bollards. All locks apart from the big one are automatic. Unfortunately by the time the work was done the traffic had pretty well finished and the mines are closed. 

Now it’s part of a good route from the Siene to the Rhône but only a very rare 38m peniche uses it.

The same happened in this country, locks on the Aire electrified and the "new" aqueduct at Stanley ferry so little used, it's still under extended warranty.  Great infrastructure, no more coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Ardnacrusha on the River Shannon in Ireland.

Thanks David.

 

Found some more info and pics here:

https://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-lower-shannon/shannon-south/the-esb-lock-at-ardnacrusha/

Edited by gbclive
Link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.