Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Parahandy

Overreaction ? ( Did I Have A Choice )

Featured Posts

On 09 June 2018 at 16:54, Jennifer McM said:

I'm with you, the guy should be proud to be black, and not see his dark skin as something bad. Now if you're employee called the man a liar, a lazy B, which is defamatory, then that's plainly wrong. If he intended to be offensive, again that's wrong. We're living in a funny old world, poor baa baa black sheep ☹️ he never did anyone any harm, in fact I guess his wool sold for a premium

Proud to be black? Why? Should I be proud of my blue eyes? If so, what does that say about my attitude towards people who's eyes are some other colour? We have a new duchess who proclaims herself proud to be a woman, ludicrous! A 50-50 genetic accident, what's to be proud of? If someone is proud of their race because they think it's better than another that's racism. If they would be equally proud of any racial identity then it would condense to "proud to be" which is silly.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Proud to be black? Why? Should I be proud of my blue eyes? If so, what does that say about my attitude towards people who's eyes are some other colour? We have a new duchess who proclaims herself proud to be a woman, ludicrous! A 50-50 genetic accident, what's to be proud of? If someone is proud of their race because they think it's better than another that's racism. If they would be equally proud of any racial identity then it would condense to "proud to be" which is silly.

Ditto "proud to be British" or "proud to be Christian"*.

Pride in oneself is justified if, and only if, the result was that of one's own efforts. Otherwise it is prejudice, whether innocuous or of a more significant nature. I think 'racist' should be kept for the more extreme forms of nastiness. 

* or insert alternative fairy story of choice

46 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ditto "proud to be British" or "proud to be Christian"*.

Pride in oneself is justified if, and only if, the result was that of one's own efforts. Otherwise it is prejudice, whether innocuous or of a more significant nature. I think 'racist' should be kept for the more extreme forms of nastiness.

* or insert alternative fairy story of choice

Proud to be British. When I was working abroad the boss showed me a newspaper article about football fans disgracing us all with their hooliganism and asked if it made me ashamed to be British. My response was no, it made me ashamed that they were. The building of Britain has been a two thousand year struggle and I am proud of the result. I am proud of the things we have achieved as a nation but not of my genetics. I was brought up to be proud of national achievements, Concorde, the steam engine. To be proud of our values of freedom under the rule of law in a liberal democracy. That's called patriotism. It would never have occurred to me to be proud of my pigmentation, that would be running close to colour prejudice.

part of the problem is that so many, eager to telegraph their own virtue happily accept being ashamed to be white as an obvious flip side to black pride. We all plundered the empire, we all killed Steven Lawrence.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Proud to be British. When I was working abroad the boss showed me a newspaper article about football fans disgracing us all with their hooliganism and asked if it made me ashamed to be British. My response was no, it made me ashamed that they were. The building of Britain has been a two thousand year struggle and I am proud of the result. I am proud of the things we have achieved as a nation but not of my genetics. I was brought up to be proud of national achievements, Concorde, the steam engine. To be proud of our values of freedom under the rule of law in a liberal democracy. That's called patriotism. It would never have occurred to me to be proud of my pigmentation, that would be running close to colour prejudice.

part of the problem is that so many, eager to telegraph their own virtue happily accept being ashamed to be white as an obvious flip side to black pride. We all plundered the empire, we all killed Steven Lawrence.

I must admit Sir Nibble and Ian that I hadn't ever thought much about Pride either Racial or National but I agree with both of you , I have been particularly struck by this " telegraph their own virtue " aspect , that is just so true .