Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Overreaction ? ( Did I Have A Choice )

Featured Posts

It was a simple Saturday Job involving five tubs of Mortar being moved from one Building Site to another , I sent old Ricky as he likes the overtime and with no Family likes to stay occupied . Around 7am I received a call from him saying that there was an issue , " There is a Black Security Guard here who says we cant come on Site as he has had no notification " in the Background I could hear the unmistakable voice of some African shouting excitedly though in truth all that I heard was the word " Black ". I was fifteen minutes from the Site and I told Ricky to stay put as I was on my way , whilst driving there I received another call from Ricky telling me that the Forklift Driver a young West Indian incidentally , had arrived and sorted things out , " you can stay where you are "                                                                             

I was only minutes away so I continued to Site where I found the old African Security Man and apologised to him for the fact that his Employers had failed to keep him in the loop , he was very nice and even apologetic but I felt it important that I made the effort to speak with him . Later I spoke to Ricky and told him under no circumstances refer to any one by the colour of their skin and especially not within their earshot , I explained that this particular Man was a Gentleman but some others could easily have made a Racial Point , I have a £100.000 a year in Business from this Company and clearly I dont want any issues.  I think Ricky understood my Point but did I over react I honestly dont know , what is clear at least to me is that its a difficult Business Environment and People engaged on my work have to understand that when dealing with other People you have to be mindful of what you say at all times , I shall have chat with Ricky over a Beer later , perhaps its an age thing .

Of course you were right to address the issue. The security guard's skin colour had no relevance to the situation and, if overheard, could have caused problems.

No employee should endanger a contract, it's yours not theirs, regardless of value.

Yes it probably is an age thing. And if your staff haven't been trained by you on how to represent you when you're not there, then it's your fault.

I once withdrew my custom when I turned up at a shop to be told "Yeah we knew you were coming 'cos some woman phoned up ….."  There's only one person who can refer to my wife as SOME WOMAN and that's me, but never in her earshot.

There are times when it is acceptable to identify an individual by whatever means possible.  Which is why The Police etc. use ………..

Code Ethnicity[2]
IC1 White - North European
IC2 White - South European
IC3 Black
IC4 Asian
IC5 Chinese, Japanese, or other Southeast Asian
IC6 Arab or North African
IC9 Unknown

But that's when they are trying to apprehend a suspect.

Simply ask Ricky what his reaction would be if he was protecting your property and the other person got on the phone and said " Yeah, I'm there, but there's some old white man stopping me ….."

• Greenie 1

Yes it probably is an age thing. And if your staff haven't been trained by you on how to represent you when you're not there, then it's your fault.

I would of thought these days that people should be more aware of avoiding using stereotypical racial terms.

Having said that, it was only a few years ago that I had to tell the sales manager to stop asking the girl what colour underwear she was wearing when he phoned in.

ETA:  Perhaps I am just as guilty,  should have said person in place of girl.

Edited by dor
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dor said:

I would of thought these days that people should be more aware of avoiding using stereotypical racial terms.

Having said that, it was only a few years ago that I had to tell the sales manager to stop asking the girl what colour underwear she was wearing when he phoned in.

Bring back the 70s when we didnt need to carry a book about informing us what was and was not the latest useable PC term :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bring back the 70s when we didnt need to carry a book about informing us what was and was not the latest useable PC term :rolleyes:

I'm with you, the guy should be proud to be black, and not see his dark skin as something bad. Now if you're employee called the man a liar, a lazy B, which is defamatory, then that's plainly wrong. If he intended to be offensive, again that's wrong. We're living in a funny old world, poor baa baa black sheep ☹️ he never did anyone any harm, in fact I guess his wool sold for a premium

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, dor said:

you should sack such people, not promote them. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm with you, the guy should be proud to be black, and not see his dark skin as something bad. Now if you're employee called the man a liar, a lazy B, which is defamatory, then that's plainly wrong. If he intended to be offensive, again that's wrong. We're living in a funny old world, poor baa baa black sheep ☹️ he never did anyone any harm, in fact I guess his wool sold for a premium

The guy probably is proud to be black. The issue here is that the context in which the term "black" was used suggests a derogatory reference. Now if old Ricky was simply using the the term "black" to identify the individual to his boss I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

However, I do agree that society has become too PC nowadays.

Before I retired from teaching, I had both a black board and a white board in my room. I was told by management that I should refer to the black board as a chalk board, I asked what I should refer to the white board as. For some reason, I wasn't given a credible answer!!

On 09 June 2018 at 12:05, zenataomm said:

No employee should endanger a contract, it's yours not theirs, regardless of value.

I once withdrew my custom when I turned up at a shop to be told "Yeah we knew you were coming 'cos some woman phoned up ….."  There's only one person who can refer to my wife as SOME WOMAN and that's me, but never in her earshot.

There are times when it is acceptable to identify an individual by whatever means possible.  Which is why The Police etc. use ………..

Code Ethnicity[2]
IC1 White - North European
IC2 White - South European
IC3 Black
IC4 Asian
IC5 Chinese, Japanese, or other Southeast Asian
IC6 Arab or North African
IC9 Unknown

But that's when they are trying to apprehend a suspect.

Simply ask Ricky what his reaction would be if he was protecting your property and the other person got on the phone and said " Yeah, I'm there, but there's some old white man stopping me ….."

On the Subject of police designations, is there something about police officers that makes them incapable of using the word "man"?

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

On the Subject of police designations, is there something about police officers that makes them incapable of using the word "man"?

They don't want to sound like hippies? Or ……. 

It's easier to say Male IC1 or Female IC3 than to say IC1 man or perhaps junior, no totally sure of his age he might be over 18.

Then we can get into really dodgy areas with the PC brigade, which is fun.  Are you aware we shouldn't be saying a pregnant woman?  The current line of woolly thinking defines somebody who is pregnant as a person. "So, M'lud, I was travelling in an easterly direction when a pregnant person exited a shop on the …..."

The authorities now have to accept an individual's self declaration regarding their gender, and must not assume anything.

So having just been arrested on suspicion of something a hairy arsed ex docker may state that they identify on Thursdays as a woman and wish to be known as Gloria.  And so be it. 

On 09/06/2018 at 18:58, Kev's Halcyon said:

I was told by management that I should refer to the black board as a chalk board

Since chalk is invariably white or light coloured, that would seem to be little better!

A ex colleague of mine started his career in a London Underground depot staffed almost entirely by people of the Windrush generation. He related how the captain of the depot cricket team explained with delight, in a broad Jamaican accent, "All of our team are from the West Indies, except for one man. And his name is Blackman!" (pronounced distinctively as two words).

• Greenie 1

On 09/06/2018 at 15:58, mrsmelly said:

Yay! the 70s, the era that brought us the stars of Operation Yew Tree and acceptable forms of Racism, I mean, who wouldn't want to go back to a time where young black men were routinely beaten and women were systematically and openly assaulted. Other than those of such privilege as yourself...

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Yay! the 70s, the era that brought us the stars of Operation Yew Tree and acceptable forms of Racism, I mean, who wouldn't want to go back to a time where young black men were routinely beaten and women were systematically and openly assaulted. Other than those of such privilege as yourself...

I don't think Schmelly was Privileged ,he simply attended an Evening Course in the Obvious?

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I don't think Schmelly was Privileged ,he simply attended an Evening Course in the Obvious?

Yes I did have to laugh to myself at that. I am so priveleged I worked for 46 years before sort of retiring last year. I was brought up by labourer working class parents and did working class jobs for years until I became self employed then worked even harder :D

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I did have to laugh to myself at that. I am so priveleged I worked for 46 years before sort of retiring last year. I was brought up by labourer working class parents and did working class jobs for years until I became self employed then worked even harder :D

you describe it beautifully, although I expect you are unsure why

1 minute ago, Wanted said:

Ive just checked with google. Bagpuss, The clangers and Rainbow were childrens programmes in the 70s. I will be asking you questions on them later.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive just checked with google. Bagpuss, The clangers and Rainbow were childrens programmes in the 70s. I will be asking you questions on them later.

Emily loved him..... 

The soup dragon fed em blue string pudding.........

Rainbow  was a that filthy kids

program:-

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Emily loved him..... 

The soup dragon fed em blue string pudding.........

Rainbow  was a that filthy kids

program:-

Yayyyyyyy Rustys posted :D..............................

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Schmelly has always had some Doubt and Indecision, he did the Noble thing and Signed up for the 2 Uniforms even though Fate had selected him for Prototype "White Van Man"Testing....

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Out of the mouth of babes. You were a baby then and you should know better than believing crap you have read in books. I was there as an adult with enough bottle to wear two uniforms for seventeen years in the seventies and eighties protecting soft lads that can talk the talk but not walk the walk. It was a great era of change and no one I knew routinely or otherwise beat any blacks or assaulted women. Please stick to what you know and understand.

I didn't have to read any books about Police intimidation in the sixties and seventies in London.  I was there, working with young People, and often being mistreated by the Police myself  for doing that.

Edited by David Schweizer