Check your Throwlines

Tonka

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That is completely unacceptable- there must be thousands of these out there, on boats, at canoe clubs, scouts, guides, white water centres etc...

Plus offshore boats, sail and power.

I disposed of our life ring and bought a heaving line about three years ago now!

Edited by Ray T

I haven't seen any yellow bag ones during my C&RT volunteering. Ours are in red bags but I don't know the make of ours and the rope looks the same. I'll have to check mine tomorrow and inform the powers that be if there is a problem.

Edited by pete.i

Just searched for the product. Guess what - many top hits from Amazon & Ebay. I bet neither will be prosecuted for conspiracy to sell products that are not fit for purpose and neither will take any significant action against the retailers & suppliers.

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just searched for the product. Guess what - many top hits from Amazon & Ebay. I bet neither will be prosecuted for conspiracy to sell products that are not fit for purpose and neither will take any significant action against the retailers & suppliers.

Well that's pretty much the way it works in this day and age don't you think. It will take a death for anyone to sit up and listen and even then everyone will blame everybody else and nothing will happen.

I keep posting that video that the RNIB made about using life jackets without a crotch strap. I also use it when I am doing water safety presentations. I have been laughed at and told that it is nonsense. But I walk around the canals and I still see people, C&RT employees and volunteers and members of the public using life jackets without a crotch strap. So far, as far as I am aware. nobody has suffered because of this but it is only a matter of time in my opinion.

Edited by pete.i

How it works is the problem. There is no need for it to be like this but there is no political will to do anything about it. We get hand wringing and platitudes as the high streets stores shut down but nothing is done to make retail a level playing field.

1.  Make online selling platforms jointly responsible for the quality of the goods they supply and for the cats and omissions of the people who sell through them.

2. Ensure the TOTAL cost of the transaction is shown right from the start.

3. Make those selling platforms who void consumer credit card rights by third party payment systems jointly responsible as the credit card companies are.

4. Change from business rates to a turnover tax.

5. Sort out the false self employment companies.

51 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Well that's pretty much the way it works in this day and age don't you think. It will take a death for anyone to sit up and listen and even then everyone will blame everybody else and nothing will happen.

I keep posting that video that the RNIB made about using life jackets without a crotch strap. I also use it when I am doing water safety presentations. I have been laughed at and told that it is nonsense. But I walk around the canals and I still see people, C&RT employees and volunteers and members of the public using life jackets without a crotch strap. So far, as far as I am aware. nobody has suffered because of this but it is only a matter of time in my opinion.

Me too. One of my favourite videos.  How sad is that. 

Anyone with a throw line should test it and then repack. As supplied the rope is in neat loops which will tangle nicely if used giving you a range of ten feet or so...

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure it was made by the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) ?

ERR no I do voluntary work for them as well. RNLI    Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Sorry and thanks but you get my meaning.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

How it works is the problem. There is no need for it to be like this but there is no political will to do anything about it. We get hand wringing and platitudes as the high streets stores shut down but nothing is done to make retail a level playing field.

1.  Make online selling platforms jointly responsible for the quality of the goods they supply and for the cats and omissions of the people who sell through them.

2. Ensure the TOTAL cost of the transaction is shown right from the start.

3. Make those selling platforms who void consumer credit card rights by third party payment systems jointly responsible as the credit card companies are.

4. Change from business rates to a turnover tax.

5. Sort out the false self employment companies.

Yeah well, and I am not getting at you with this comment Tony, but pigs will fly before any of that happens.

9 minutes ago, pete.i said:

ERR no I do voluntary work for them as well. RNLI    Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Sorry and thanks but you get my meaning.

Yeah well, and I am not getting at you with this comment Tony, but pigs will fly before any of that happens.

I know but just maybe, over a long time period, a constant drip drip might dissolve the problem.

Interesting line in the report:

The foreign suppliers identified so far assemble the throw bags using components from further suppliers

It does't look as though RIBER had much quality control in place and limited record of a supply chain (to be fair I doubt they're alone on that front)

4 hours ago, 13-10 said:

It does't look as though RIBER had much quality control in place and limited record of a supply chain (to be fair I doubt they're alone on that front)

I don't see a need to be fair to RIBER - they are the ones selling the defective equipment and have been happily making extra profit by not bothering to check what they're supplying. They should now have to shoulder responsibility.