Cheapest place for Livaboard DIY Hardstanding

Featured Posts

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum so Greetings!

I'm a livaboard continuous cruiser who has been on my boat for just over 3 years. I had her blacked when I bought her but was not involved in the process. She is now a little bit overdue. I have 2 months off work and am looking to take her out the water and black her myself. I have time but am on a budget. I am looking for an affordable yard/marina where I can spend two weeks on the hard to take my time derusting and prepping the hull sides as well as the base plate before reblacking. I'm currently in West London but am prepared to travel for up to around 10 days per journey. I will need to live on the boat whilst she is on the hard. Does anyone have some suitable suggestions? The best I've found so far are Willowbridge Marina for DIY but I am hoping to find something a bit less costly. Base plate is not negotiable and I definitely need access to it. I'd prefer to be on the hard rather than a dry dock as I'm slower than most people at DIY stuff. I like to take more time but do a thorough job

27 minutes ago, GreenWoodpecker said:

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum so Greetings!

I'm a livaboard continuous cruiser who has been on my boat for just over 3 years. I had her blacked when I bought her but was not involved in the process. She is now a little bit overdue. I have 2 months off work and am looking to take her out the water and black her myself. I have time but am on a budget. I am looking for an affordable yard/marina where I can spend two weeks on the hard to take my time derusting and prepping the hull sides as well as the base plate before reblacking. I'm currently in West London but am prepared to travel for up to around 10 days per journey. I will need to live on the boat whilst she is on the hard. Does anyone have some suitable suggestions? The best I've found so far are Willowbridge Marina for DIY but I am hoping to find something a bit less costly. Base plate is not negotiable and I definitely need access to it. I'd prefer to be on the hard rather than a dry dock as I'm slower than most people at DIY stuff. I like to take more time but do a thorough job

Hi GreenWoodpecker welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't know anywhere personally but it looks like you've already done some research. Good luck with it ?

Blacking the baseplate properly requires the boat to be moved once the initial coats have blacking hsve thoroughly dried, and repositioned such thst the areas previously covered by the bearers are now exposed so you can put a couple of three coats on them.

This is easier and possibly cheaper to do in a wet dock rather than having to use a crane 3 times (lift out, reposition, lift back in).

Edited by cuthound
Clarity and spillung

Debdale have extensive hardstanding, you would need to check with them for living aboard and access to baseplate. Based on the Leicester arm they seemed fairly approachable, and are well kitted out for any surprise repairs that may crop up.