Supplier for comparable filters

Featured Posts

The do a search for your engine. Having got the numbers (there could be half a page or more) take it to a motor factors or assuming you are going upstream phone Abingdon Boat Centre to see if they could get one/some in for you from a local factors.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Filtermania in Stafford owners know there boat engines, cheaper as well,  just tell them what engine you have they will find the correct parts for you and post them .

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, calon said:

Filtermania in Stafford owners know there boat engines, cheaper as well,  just tell them what engine you have they will find the correct parts for you and post them .

Second that, Lee is very knowledgeable and will find parts matched to your make filters.

I cannot remember what engine you have in Nightwatch Martyn, but some marinisers of standard Japanese industrial engines deliberately fit their own filter heads with a different screw thread so that you have to buy their fiters, rather than the engine manufacturers original equipment type.

A friend of mine had a Kubota based marine engine in his boat,  the standard Kubota filter would not fit. Even the main Kubota agents in Bath could not supply ones that would fit. The moral is check the thread as well as the filter size. My friend was an engineer, and he eventually replaced the filter heads with Kubota ones which would accept the (much cheaper standard filters.

19 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello.

Ages ago someone put up a link for a supplier that sold compatable fuel filter elements. I have searched but it's a long drawn out process. 

Anyone know the name of such a supplier?

Filtermania I have used in the past. However if you have an Isuzu 42? I have the numbers for mine and pay £4.15 pence for them from a motorfactors as against about £15 from a marina. They dont however have " Marine " printed on the side so the boat may well self combust ?

I spoke to Filtermania his morning. They assure me they have the correct filter and I have ordered three. £1.35 each. Arriving at my sons address in the morning.

cruised this morning and gave it revs, performed brilliantly.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I spoke to Filtermania his morning. They assure me they have the correct filter and I have ordered three. £1.35 each. Arriving at my sons address in the morning.

cruised this morning and gave it revs, performed brilliantly.

Thats fine but as you didnt buy it from a marine chandlers your boat will probably evaporate before you get back to the canals.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Thats fine but as you didnt buy it from a marine chandlers your boat will probably evaporate before you get back to the canals.

I never bought my filters from a chandlery. Having a BMC 1.5 it shared the filters with the old Leyland ractor, and they were readily available at Agricultural Merchants, and we all know how careful farmers are with cash!! I used to buy them in bulk to get an extra discount.

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I never bought my filters from a chandlery. Having a BMC 1.5 it shared the filters with the old Leyland ractor, and they were readily available at Agricultural Merchants, and we all know how careful farmers are with cash!! I used to buy them in bulk to get an extra discount.

I believe your boat has evaporated David.:D

• Haha 1

I've spent ages looking into this in the past. I've got a Barrus Shire (Yanmar) engine. I found I was going round in circles and never 100% confident about compatibility. I ended up buying genuine Yanmar filters from Ebay suppliers (typically suppliers of tractor/digger spares) at reasonable prices including delivery.

I'm sure I could have saved a few pounds if I'd spent longer researching but it's a once a year purchase so I'm happy to stick with the Yanmar parts.  

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

I passed a boat yesterday with a couple of old batteries sat on the blunt end with nice big stickers on them proclaiming " Marine " dual purpose ? Not that old sausage!!  How to make a quick buck and still they get away with it!!

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some time ago I posted some photos that shows that not all equivalent filters are the same 

The CAV/Delphi filter is a pocket filter, the other one is a pleated filter. They will both agglomerate any water and filter out particles larger than their pore size but the pocket one has a larger filter surface area so can deal with more dirt before clogging. Both will do the job but one will do it for longer. Personally I always try to choose a make that supplies pocket filters for fuel but in an emergency would use either from a reputable supplier.

Oil filters are potentially a bigger problem because they have a bypass valve and often an anti-drain back valve inside them and if they are not of suitable quality or setting then they might cause expensive problems. The only thing boaters can do is buy well known brands from reputable sellers.

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The CAV/Delphi filter is a pocket filter, the other one is a pleated filter. They will both agglomerate any water and filter out particles larger than their pore size but the pocket one has a larger filter surface area so can deal with more dirt before clogging. Both will do the job but one will do it for longer. Personally I always try to choose a make that supplies pocket filters for fuel but in an emergency would use either from a reputable supplier.

Oil filters are potentially a bigger problem because they have a bypass valve and often an anti-drain back valve inside them and if they are not of suitable quality or setting then they might cause expensive problems. The only thing boaters can do is buy well known brands from reputable sellers.

They do, but you really don't want it opening as unfiltered oil will pass into the engine, much better to change it before the filter is blocked rather than using the filter for too long to save a few quid. - Not suggesting you were proposing that.

What concerns me is that the bypass valve may be sub standard or leak and do as you say because there is no way a consumer can physically check it. At least if the anti drain  back valve is missing or leaks someoen in the know would tell from the bearing rattle on start up.  We are totally in the hand sof the maker and retailer.

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What concerns me is that the bypass valve may be sub standard or leak and do as you say because there is no way a consumer can physically check it. At least if the anti drain  back valve is missing or leaks someoen in the know would tell from the bearing rattle on start up.  We are totally in the hand sof the maker and retailer.

Completely agree, and with counterfeit parts they may even leak internally.  All we can do is buy reputable brands from big suppliers that have a good reputation and everything to loose if they sold defective parts.  So I don’t use eBay for filters.

In-Line Filters inlinefilters.co.uk  sell a good range of Baldwins filters with a comprehensive comparison list..  These are good quality as far as I can make out, and from what others have said.

They even list Vetus in their lists:

Vetus STM3690 FBW-BF1257 FILTER-Fuel(Spin On) Fuel 8.07

Watch out for drains on the bottom of engine mounted fuel filters.  Some have plastic drain plugs which I believe will result in a  BSC fail; Baldwins have metal drain plug.

I use Inline filters. Baldwin filters do seem good quality, especially the spin on filters which bodies seem to be made of thicker, heavier steel tham most others. They are made in Morocco according to the boxes.

Edited by bizzard