Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

They boated to ricky because Trevor had missed his intent of doing i think 25 appearances, have filled her with coal, and are selling their  converted modern motor and modifying their butty to enable buying Corona. His name and paint is being maintained until it gets too bad.

Ive never known them rude and i am defending them because they are anti technology to the point of no internet or phone even.

their weekend was ruined by severe dental absess , and an inability to get treatment. Monday they were seeking public transport options to get treatment as they have no car.

33 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Whoever it is, they are contenders for the rudest, most bad humoured boaters on the system. Whatever you do, don't give them a hearty hello and mention the previous lovely owner...………………………...

That's rubbish, they might not be the most out going people on the cut but they are certainly one of the nicest couples about. Corona couldn't have gone to a better home and it will be very well looked after.

On 09/06/2018 at 17:40, X Alan W said:

Add station boat Rill to the list - owner by a lovely couple from Banbury.  They said they had to be hauled out of that tight Napton lock by CART and are wondering if they'll get back up.

Some videos of the weekend here :-

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdAC1v2qzB9JLcw56iFRH3p7Q

( Apologies for the" X Alan W "Quote headline above, it just pops up when I click in the reply box, and I cant delete it .  Very odd ? "

Edited by jake_crew

2 hours ago, jake_crew said:

What was up with Gloucester's K2 - only running cleanly on 1 cylinder I guess. 

I chatted to the chap who has Gloucester about his K2.  My first thought was the injectors, but these have been recently checked and serviced. I think he was using fresh, clean fuel. My next thought was that the timing was off.  

He has another K2 to compare it with, because he's now the new owner of Owl.  

Gloucester, by the way, is a lovely boat, IMHO.

it looked very ploomy clearly not burning all the diesel properly. too much fuel but burning is black not enough fuel burns very clear but very low on power. white gray is normally burning but not fully burn diesel. wrong injection timing could cause it it could also be low compression but this tends to result in hard starting or excess pressure in oil system at sump or breathers.

I'm not to up on k2s unlike you but how did it run on start up did they run on petrol or strait to diesel?

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I chatted to the chap who has Gloucester about his K2.  My first thought was the injectors, but these have been recently checked and serviced. I think he was using fresh, clean fuel. My next thought was that the timing was off.  

He has another K2 to compare it with, because he's now the new owner of Owl.  

Gloucester, by the way, is a lovely boat, IMHO.

It took a lot of Flushing to get Fulbourne out of Lock 9, don't think that we will be going back down that way :-(

21 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

It took a lot of Flushing to get Fulbourne out of Lock 9, don't think that we will be going back down that way ?

With my modern and straight boat in lock 9, the east wall seemed to bow out in the middle by about 40mm 

22 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

They boated to ricky because Trevor had missed his intent of doing i think 25 appearances, have filled her with coal, and are selling their  converted modern motor and modifying their butty to enable buying Corona. His name and paint is being maintained until it gets too bad.

Ive never known them rude and i am defending them because they are anti technology to the point of no internet or phone even.

their weekend was ruined by severe dental absess , and an inability to get treatment. Monday they were seeking public transport options to get treatment as they have no car.

When I spoke to the guy on Monday he had a phone in his hand.

On 26/06/2018 at 13:51, jake_crew said:

Add station boat Rill to the list - owner by a lovely couple from Banbury.  They said they had to be hauled out of that tight Napton lock by CART and are wondering if they'll get back up.

Some videos of the weekend here :-

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdAC1v2qzB9JLcw56iFRH3p7Q

( Apologies for the" X Alan W "Quote headline above, it just pops up when I click in the reply box, and I cant delete it .  Very odd ? "

I'm like that you won't get rid of me that easily ?

4 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

When I spoke to the guy on Monday he had a phone in his hand.

Bean tin and string...maybe they do now  thinking about it a friend offered to text them for me a few weeks ago. Age allows me to talk crap. However they are pleasant people but both private. 

On the off-chance (!).........

Some excellent pictures have appeared of "Sickle" in Saturday's parade, but when we take "Flamingo" out, (as we did on Sunday), it seldom seems to result in photographs being made public.

So did anybody take any pictures or videos of "Flamingo" on parade on Sunday, please, and would you be prepared to share them?

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I included GLOUCESTER, HASTY, OBERON and ORPHEUS in that number. 

If you wish to switch the numbers around a little that is up to you, but the total remains the same :captain:

In this post:

you said "In my opinion RAYMOND and SATURN are both borderline as they are both 'reproductions' rather than plank for plank rebuilds"

:)

Edited by David Mack

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In this post:

you said "In my opinion RAYMOND and SATURN are both borderline as they are both 'reproductions' rather than plank for plank rebuilds"

:)

But however you want to count RAYMOND, and however you want to reproduce words it was still at Braunston.

I stand by what I said about both RAYMOND and SATURN, and clearly I have counted RAYMOND amongst the 'historics' in error for which I am most sorry. In fact I am really sorry I bothered to put a list together at all now. 

Edited by pete harrison
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

If I have added it up correctly that now makes the number of 'interesting' boats at Braunston:

67 attendees as 'historic' boats

4 attendees as reproductions

1 attendee former B.W.B. push tug (1974)

11 resident to Braunston

83 total.

I have just been watching YouTube video's of the weekend at Braunston and I have spotted another - the wooden tug PROGRESS, so:

68 attendees as 'historic' boats

4 attendees as reproductions

11 resident to Braunston

84 total.

or to appease Mr Mack:

67 attendees as 'historic' boats (RAYMOND not counted)

5 attendees as reproductions (RAYMOND counted)

11 resident to Braunston

84 total.

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Only if the springer is ex commercial . Dont remember many springer hire boats bridgewater boats maybe

Where does that come from? 

The event title says 'historic', dunnit!

• Haha 1