Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Probably a tiller string, used to stop the tiller swinging in locks.

Tiller string.JPG

saves you doing what I do and remove the tiller everytime im in a lock the idea i beleive is it stops the rudder and tiller moving keeping the rudder inline with the rear fenders. This is what I was tort. but having another screw in the roof can alow water in so I now have no rope and remove the tiller.

I beleive this is what happened to the old tiller on towy as it was brass but had a big bend in and had been heated to regent it.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It could swing out across the lock side as its emptying and get busted off. Seen it happen.

It happened to my tiller arm about 8 years ago going down the Kibworth locks which were starved of water. I managed to open the top paddles in time to save the bar and it has stayed the same bend ever since, I find it a more comfortable height to steer, and very easy when sat on the cabin top. It also made it easier for my daughter(and Kathy)to steer as I turned it 180 degrees so it bent downwards.

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

Probably a tiller string, used to stop the tiller swinging in locks.

Tiller string.JPG

Some steerers had one each side to stop the tiller bar moving with  one the tiller was held in line one way but could swing toward the eyelet /over it & protrude outside the cabin, the purpose of the tiller string was not to keep the rudder straight but to stop the tlller bar fouling the lock wall if the tiller bar was left in place & not secured My personal preference was a single tiller string of such a length with the eyelet position on the chimney side of the cabin roof to restrict the tiller bar travel from the edge of the cabin top to the edge of the slide opening  reason bar cannot catch on lock side & does not obstruct the access to the cabin saves you cracking your had on tiller bar on exiting the cabin

Edited by X Alan W

When I had the William there were short tiller strings each side designed to hold the rudder at an angle so that, with a small amount of power on, the stern stayed against the side in a wide lock.  Also handy for keeping the tiller out of the way so not to clunk your head coming out of the cabin!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2018 at 08:16, roland elsdon said:

Ive always fastened the tiller string to the ticket drawer side ,always use it after getting rib broken in a narrow lock when rudder hit sill that the fenders missed. 

I too hit a sill Wednesday night in a moment of inattention, coming down Napton.

Stern fenders missed the sill and rudder stock was knocked out of the cup bearing. Took an hour of messing about to get it put back in, assisted by the helpful chaps at Napton Narrowboats. 

So much for having the tiller/rudder straight in a lock. Huh.

On 12/06/2018 at 15:19, Peter X said:

The woman in the first of Ray T's photos seems to have her doubts about the quality of the brew. Was the tea available during WW2 sometimes a bit dodgy?

That's the same face I pull when I've just got a mouth full of tea leaves. (or soggy digestive)

18767789_1933588373553816_8424892419623086687_n.jpg

Edited by Tumshie

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too hit a sill Wednesday night in a moment of inattention, coming down Napton.

Stern fenders missed the sill and rudder stock was knocked out of the cup bearing. Took an hour of messing about to get it put back in, assisted by the helpful chaps at Napton Narrowboats. 

So much for having the tiller/rudder straight in a lock. Huh.

I guess the thinking is that it's better to be able to replace the rudder into its cup than end up with steering gear that resembles a noodle!

13 minutes ago, BWM said:

I guess the thinking is that it's better to be able to replace the rudder into its cup than end up with steering gear that resembles a noodle!

Spose so. Had the rudder been across to one side the rudder stock would surely hav bin bent by the impact.

At the end of the afternoon parade I saw Adamant being towed along, hope its nothing serious. I looked for Pru when I saw Tim and I didn"t notice her, hope that"s not bad news.

Edited by meerdog

Nice to see the photos including Nuneaton and Brighton, sad I had to back out of being there, maybe next year. Note Brighton's new can, I'm no expert on these matters but I think it's a thing of beauty. Lots of people were admiring it at Rickmansworth.

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I also saw Tim West sat on a boat, no sign of Pru though. I may be mistaken though.

9 hours ago, meerdog said:

I looked for Pru when I saw Tim and I didn"t notice her, hope that"s not bad news.

Pru definitely here, but wasn't on the steam boat when it went around in the afternoon.

Custodians of steam boat sat on back seemed distictly alarmed by David Suchet's stering, which seemed to compete with Tim's!

9 hours ago, meerdog said:

At the end of the afternoon parade I saw Adamant being towed along, hope its nothing serious. I looked for Pru when I saw Tim and I didn"t notice her, hope that"s not bad news.

Inability to steer nothing wrong with boat theres a history between fenny and adamant of jumping in front of each other.. this time it went a bit wrong  so adamant got tied on the back

14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Some really good pictures there. Thank you for sharing.

Adamant looks good. Has it had a repaint in the last few years. 

I also saw Tim West sat on a boat, no sign of Pru though. I may be mistaken though.

IMGP3158.JPG