Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I can see the residents of Braunston being far from impressed by this unintended consequence

As long as the cars are legally parked on the public highway then it is none of their business. 

As I tell my neighbour who puts cones around my car when it is parked on the road in front of his house. 

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think my concern is for the impact the event has on local shops as we are losing them all over the place at such a rate. 

I think your concern is misplaced. 

When I lived in Braunston the show was welcomed by the local shops and pubs as an annual boost in trade. 

Perhaps your concern should be aimed at the locals using the tescos in Daventry or amazon year round rather than your perceived dip (or my perceived boost) in trade one weekend a year. 

Edited by carlt

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

I can see the residents of Braunston being far from impressed by this unintended consequence

If you are prepared to walk perhaps 1/4 mile extra  the area up towards the gated road out of the village did have plenty of room to park without upsetting the residents

Edited by X Alan W

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite!

It isn't exactly hard for anybody who wants to avoid the charge to park somewhere else, and we are not talking a massive walk either.

Or get someone who is booking a boat in, but isn't actually taking a car there to apply for a (free) pass, and sell it to you at the old price (!)

It was  told it had been noted the  last couple of year's that several boaters e.c.t. who had extra tickets where selling or exchanging them for a few beers hence the now limit to one ticket a boat to stop others making money from a charitable event.  ( Just repeating what i was told by one of the organisers)

As a matter of interest do they allow blue badge holders to park for free, or reduced parking fees? I know they allow them into the small area next to the gate, but wondered if that was as far as the concession goes.

Edited by David Schweizer

The small area next to the gate is always full.

Disabled blue badge  do have a small area cornered off in the field but fills up quickly so often have to park in the main field parking .

Yes they do pay the same fee as everyone else & take my word & also that of Ray Thorpe who is a diamond & always takes our mike  it is hard to move a wheelchair in that field & almost impossible if it has been raining.

6 minutes ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

The small area next to the gate is always full.

Disabled blue badge  do have a small area cornered off in the field but fills up quickly so often have to park in the main field parking .

Yes they do pay the same fee as everyone else & take my word & also that of Ray Thorpe who is a diamond & always takes our mike  it is hard to move a wheelchair in that field & almost impossible if it has been raining.

Yes I know all about that, the trick is to drive onto the site and help the disblaed person into their chair/buggy, and leave them there whist the driver parks the car in the field, and then returns to join their friend/partner.

Edited by David Schweizer

If the shopkeepers do no trade why do they always run out of essentials during it,had to cycle to daventry last  year for bread and fruit  last year on sat. 

I used 2 pubs 2 shops swindlers  and the cafe during 3 days as well as the boat shop, 

hoards descend for the show you cant get a table in the pubs without booking. Shopowners and publicans probably consider closing trades so bad.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes I know all about that, the trick is to drive onto the site and help the disblaed person into their chair/buggy, and leave them there whist the driver parks the car in the field, and then returns to join their friend/partner.

Which is what I do.

Whilst on the subject of mugs these are always worth another view:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/Radio.WW2/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1933588070220513

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and water

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

Edited by Ray T

Just now, The Bearwood Boster said:

It's worth the walk into the village just to go to the butchers.We'll be there by car(taking a cool bag with us) hoping to park in one of our usual spots...

Was there this morning, bought a dozen "Braunston Bangers" and some bacon.

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The woman in the first of Ray T's photos seems to have her doubts about the quality of the brew. Was the tea available during WW2 sometimes a bit dodgy?

Floor sweepings and sawdust. Used to make teabags these days

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

Which is what I do.

Whilst on the subject of mugs these are always worth another view:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/Radio.WW2/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1933588070220513

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and water

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

In the first picture there is a short rope attached to what looks like a ring fixed to the cabin top, any idea what the purpose is, not noticed one before?

On 12/06/2018 at 20:11, BWM said:

In the first picture there is a short rope attached to what looks like a ring fixed to the cabin top, any idea what the purpose is, not noticed one before?

Probably a tiller string, used to stop the tiller swinging in locks and catching the wall.

Tiller string.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite!

It isn't exactly hard for anybody who wants to avoid the charge to park somewhere else, and we are not talking a massive walk either.

Or get someone who is booking a boat in, but isn't actually taking a car there to apply for a (free) pass, and sell it to you at the old price (!)

It is if you can't walk far!

On mugs:

1174381273_Nostrainer.jpg.6104777e9a4021d39ac657a0d8fc004c.jpg

Is it; no strainer - or no sugar?

Such mugs were commonplace in commercial canteens, as were the slightly smaller cup and saucer in the same style - London Transport had thousands. Still available, and the Severn Valley Railway has them with a nicely subtle GWR emblem on them, £12.50 each though, but very good quality.

Enamel tin mugs are awful - 'lip burners!