Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, pete harrison said:

They can be seen on Grand Union's as well as I have a much prised Portmeirion oversized cup and saucer :captain:

Is there such a thing as a traditional tea cup on Grand Union boats? On Brighton we just have a random collection of modern mugs, but something larger might be a good idea.

I'm another Uncle Peter, I have five nephews and a neice.

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

Is there such a thing as a traditional tea cup on Grand Union boats?

No, I do not believe there is a traditional tea cup for any boat let alone a Grand Union.

When looking at any boat in any specific period of time it is important to consider what was common place then, and cups and saucers were the norm in most British society until probably the 1960's when mugs became more prevalent. I find mugs are better on a boat as they are often heavier in their construction so less liable to damage and are only one item instead of two (cup and saucer) when it comes to storage and washing up - which possibly accounts for there general popularity nowadays both on and off boats :captain:

On 09/06/2018 at 17:01, Rob-M said:

Unfortunately we aren't going as Scorpio is currently engineless and Swift had to get back from Foxton for another event. If we had been going we would have probably parked in the village and walked down.

And here is a pic of Swift at Foxton last week.

P1020836.JPG

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

No, I do not believe there is a traditional tea cup for any boat let alone a Grand Union.

When looking at any boat in any specific period of time it is important to consider what was common place then, and cups and saucers were the norm in most British society until probably the 1960's when mugs became more prevalent. I find mugs are better on a boat as they are often heavier in their construction so less liable to damage and are only one item instead of two (cup and saucer) when it comes to storage and washing up - which possibly accounts for there general popularity nowadays both on and off boats :captain:

However a proper cup and saucer was the preference of the late Trevor Maggs, so they were certainly seeing regular use in a back cabin until recently.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

Is there such a thing as a traditional tea cup on Grand Union boats? On Brighton we just have a random collection of modern mugs, but something larger might be a good idea.

I'm another Uncle Peter, I have five nephews and a neice.

could this be a traditional coffee mug although i think you may need a few lined up to wet the whistle

101_2927.JPG

That's a rather nice looking mug, which leads me to wonder whether the canal would have had its own coat of arms or whether the manufacturer of the mugs just made it up? Maybe the blue on the shield depicts the main line to Birmingham plus the Leicester line? The date stamp in the future is a bit puzzling too!

5 hours ago, Peter X said:

That's a rather nice looking mug, which leads me to wonder whether the canal would have had its own coat of arms or whether the manufacturer of the mugs just made it up? Maybe the blue on the shield depicts the main line to Birmingham plus the Leicester line? The date stamp in the future is a bit puzzling too!

In  1967 my Grand dad took me to a meeting in a cold freezing field (canal rally it would be called today ),where the start of the  Grand Union canal society was formed.

There plans & work party's  where formed to re open the Slough & Wendover arms .

i have 2 x mugs later given to all that was there = mine & Grand dads .I spent many a day at the slough arm helping at the start of the clearing up it was all sweat & hard work for the adults  with no machinery then  .

i have since been told that the Grand Junction also  ceased using transport 1967 but that is only ear say

There is one of these mugs for sale on e/bay 

101_2931.JPG

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:34, zenataomm said:

……. serves you right for eating dinner.  You should be on Badger's counter drinking tea from an oversized cup and saucer like any decent Josher steerer!

I often saw steerers (usually with a butty behind) enjoying a massive drink of tea supplied by The Missus in a double sized (at least) cup and saucer.

I even saw one sitting on the hatch of a single josher with very faded BWB livery hammering down Hillmorton early evening one Summer night in 1965.  It was in the hands of a very young newly wed couple.

Then there was the day I went to collect Marcellus from Gas St. and John Edwards was sipping from one.

That was what I was referring to above.  Perhaps it was a post war thingy that wasn't around so long as water cans and other well known traditions, but they were there. 

I certainly enjoyed mine in the 80s when I had Rigal & Marcellus.

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

You could I've no doubt find space to park if you are to walk down from the village

Quite!

It isn't exactly hard for anybody who wants to avoid the charge to park somewhere else, and we are not talking a massive walk either.

Or get someone who is booking a boat in, but isn't actually taking a car there to apply for a (free) pass, and sell it to you at the old price (!)

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

It isn't exactly hard for anybody who wants to avoid the charge to park somewhere else, and we are not talking a massive walk either.

I can see the residents of Braunston being far from impressed by this unintended consequence

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

I can see the residents of Braunston being far from impressed by this unintended consequence

It has always happened, though I can't say how much worse the increase in charge will make it.

Just now, alan_fincher said:

It has always happened, though I can't say how much worse the increase in charge will make it.

There is apparently less parking on site this year anyway due to spreading dredgings from the marina

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I feel sorry for the residents and shop keepers in Braunston when they have to suffer the effects of the boat show with little benefit to them. Due to restrictions in mooring before the show, shops lose out on the many boaters who will stop for a couple of hours or overnight to visit the village shops Then they have the problem of visitors to the show parking all over the village and disrupting village life. As far as I can gather, local people have little or no say in the boat show , they just have to put up with it.

Still, it lets boaters meet up and display their boats and cause chaos for anyone else who has the temerity to want to boat through Braunston that weekend. 

haggis. 

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

I feel sorry for the residents and shop keepers in Braunston when they have to suffer the effects of the boat show with little benefit to them. Due to restrictions in mooring before the show, shops lose out on the many boaters who will stop for a couple of hours or overnight to visit the village shops Then they have the problem of visitors to the show parking all over the village and disrupting village life. As far as I can gather, local people have little or no say in the boat show , they just have to put up with it.

Still, it lets boaters meet up and display their boats and cause chaos for anyone else who has the temerity to want to boat through Braunston that weekend. 

haggis. 

What a silly comment!

Shows such Braunston occur all over the country every weekend through the summer. They are an integral feature of English rural life, a bit like church bells ringing. 

And remind me which shops and pubs the hoards of visitors you object to will be patronising over the weekend? Clearly you think it will not be those in Braunston!

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis. 

For a typical boat that moors up in Braunston overnight, I see very little evidence of many people doing the trek to the shops in the village.

When we moor in Braunston, (which we regularly do when no show is on), if you do walk up through the fields to the village, you seldom meet anybody who looks like they have gone up there to shop.

On the other hand, when we are there for a show, we are there or several days with no other way of topping up supplies than a walk up to the village.  The same will apply to many other historic boat owners visiting.  Unconverted historic boats don't have the luxury of fridges, so regularly replenishment of things that don't last long on hot days goes with the territory.

I'd be quite surprised if the village doesn't see  at least as much trade from boaters when a show is on, as it does when it isn't.

Do you actually have any firm evidence to the contrary, or do you just not like the idea of an event that has proved to be a major attraction to the public taking place at all?

I base my views on what shop owners in Braunston have told me in the past. They see a decline in trade during the couple of weeks before the show and although they see some increase in trade over the weekend it doesn't make up for what they lose, they tell me. With visitors to the show parking all over the village during the show, they lose the custom of their regulars who would drive there from the surrounding area. Perhaps they are telling lies, I don't know. I agree that the pubs will see a big increase in income during the weekend but I didn't mention them :-) .

Although boat shows such as Braunston are of little interest to me I can appreciate that for those who own and care for older boats such an event is of great interest. 

I think my concern is for the impact the event has on local shops as we are losing them all over the place at such a rate. 

haggis