Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I do, for if they had charged for attendance and policing as they do at other events, the costs would have been far higher than most of Tims other costs.

So let's get this straight. Does the team think Posh Tim runs the Historic Festival in order to turn a tidy profit? 

Anyone care to have a stab at working out how much money he makes out of the whole event?

Here's my own estimate: £0.00.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I disagree, as suggested by Alan Fincher, it costs them a lot more to get there than the £20 car parking fee, and perhaps you could explain how they can charge for attending and mooring on the towpath which is owned by C&ART and not Braunston Marina?

You don't have to attend

Not suggesting you pay to moor, but no reason why boats should not contribute to the running of the show in the marina which is private no different to those who pay to park

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So let's get this straight. Does the team think Posh Tim runs the Historic Festival in order to turn a tidy profit? 

Anyone care to have a stab at working out how much money he makes out of the whole event?

I dont think he runs it with that in mind, however, £20 a car, with a free car park provided and traffic control by free stewards and free police, when it was £10 last year is a mightily big increase to cover what exactly. 

Perhaps he is providing free ear defenders and sign language lessons in the tent when the band drown out conversation on Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Not suggesting you pay to moor, but no reason why boats should not contribute to the running of the show in the marina which is private no different to those who pay to park

Boats pay to go to Little Venice, Rickmansworth and other festivals, if the boats weren't there the festivals would be a tad flat.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

it was £10 last year is a mightily big increase to cover what exactly. 

I'd imagine it is to double the size of the contribution to charity the car park fee comprises. You object to this increase in income for the charity concerned I imagine.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd imagine it is to double the size of the contribution to charity the car park fee comprises. You object to this increase in income for the charity concerned I imagine.

I don't object to anything, I'm just saying £20 a car is a massive increase on last years fee and what would an occasional weekend prospective visitor expect extra for that increase if they visited last year and were thinking of coming again this year. 

Besides the issue of some historic boats with multiple volunteer crew members, as pointed out previously, are they going to attend if they have to pay such a large fee.

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect that any profits made by Braunston marina are incidental, and unquantifiable. I honestly do not believe profit is the primary objective. However it did influence my own decision to dock my boat there for survey, even though they were not the cheapest, simply because of their efforts in laying on the rally year after year. Maybe i am a mug in  so doing but so what? I enjoy braunston.

last weekend i did a bike race in cambridge, £80 entry and then £10 for the car park. That did aggrieve me... but its my choice

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I dont think he runs it with that in mind, however, £20 a car, with a free car park provided and traffic control by free stewards and free police, when it was £10 last year is a mightily big increase to cover what exactly.

And that is what you would have been paying more than five years ago. The real problem is that they failed to incerease parking fees in line with increasing costs, presumably with a decreasing surplus to donate to local charities.  The only way to redress that inbalance is to increase the only significantly revenue generating source they have.

With regard to free parking stewards, they are normally provided by the local Scouts, who are presumably one of the charitable benificiaries

Edited by David Schweizer

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And that is what you would have been paying more than five years ago.

The car park has been a tenner for as long as I can remember. ten years I'd say, and possibly a whole lot more.

When did they festival start?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The car park has been a tenner for as long as I can remember. ten years I'd say, and possibly a whole lot more.

When did they festival start?

16 years ago

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And that is what you would have been paying more than five years ago. The real problem is that they failed to incerease parking fees in line with increasing costs, presumably with a decreasing surplus to donate to local charities.  The only way to redress that inbalance is to increase the only significantly revenue generating source they have.

With regard to free parking stewards, they are normally provided by the local Scouts, who are presumably one of the charitable benificiaries

perhaps less people are attending in the car parks, year on year, as there is nothing new at the festival, doubling car parking costs isn't exactly going to get people rushing back is it.

Perhaps a change of tack with the show is needed.

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I am an uncle and a Peter, and to get back on subject I am planning to be at Braunston :captain:

Hi Peter, It would be good to meet you, and as we will be in a big Lime Green tent on the arm, we will be easier to find then you will be as I don't know what you look like, so please pop round and say hello if you get the chance.

And to anyone else who would like to say hello, there will be flapjack on the stand, and possibly another sort of cake too!

Sue

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

16 years ago

perhaps less people are attending in the car parks, year on year, as there is nothing new at the festival, doubling car parking costs isn't exactly going to get people rushing back is it. 

Perhaps a change of tack with the show is needed.

well we agree on that point. As I have already suggested, it is my view that it should have been done some years ago rather than one big increase in one year, but the alternative may be that the show makes no surplus without the increase and is discontinued. People will make their own mids up about that, and maybe some of those who attended both days will only attend one day, who knows?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Boats pay to go to Little Venice, Rickmansworth and other festivals, if the boats weren't there the festivals would be a tad flat.

Except this is a Historic boat festival.

Historic boats don't pay to attend the Ricky festival, (and indeed many others, like Stoke Bruerne VaW, Alvecote & Linslade).  Seems fair to me, as we are providing exhibits/attractions at our own expense.

(I've never felt the urge to attend Canal Cavalcade, so I don't know if "historics "pay there - being an IWA event, I'm guessing "probably".)

45 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I think on this point many of us can agree.

It would have been more sensible to do the occasional inflation based increase over the years.

Clearly £10 is no longer worth what £10 was worth whenever it was first charged, (and I can't remember it ever being any other amount).

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Hi Peter, It would be good to meet you, and as we will be in a big Lime Green tent on the arm, we will be easier to find then you will be as I don't know what you look like, so please pop round and say hello if you get the chance.

And to anyone else who would like to say hello, there will be flapjack on the stand, and possibly another sort of cake too!

Sue

I will be certain to pop round and introduce myself :captain:

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

(I've never felt the urge to attend Canal Cavalcade, so I don't know if "historics "pay there - being an IWA event, I'm guessing "probably".)

Yup.Historic boats pay the same rate as every other boat that attends Cavalcade.

But we did get a Historic Boat parade this year.

They say charity starts at home, and for many that's where it'll stay. So where and which charity receives this money? Are books kept, and how much is collected? Does anyone know? As to paying to attend the cavalcade (is this the parade?), I have never done so nor asked to do so on the few occasions my boat has attended. Such festivals are intended to draw attention to the public at large about the history of canals, the boats, and what they were for. Any side stalls are set up to make money for the stall holders, and quite rightly they pitches are charged for - same as at car boot sales. £20 to park a car in a field (belonging to who?) seems a bit steep (a couple of hundred cars = £4,000), and would certainly stop me from attending, and as the Braunston 'do' has become a bit of a circus, I stay home. I'll donate to charity from there (and I do).

Mr. Coghlan is a business man. Of course he will want a bigger and 'better' event each successive year. Much Wenlock has a one day Christmas Fair held in the streets each year - until this year when there won't be one. Why? Because the Council have upped their charges to stall holders to the point it has become unprofitable to attend. Such are the results of greed.

On 07/06/2018 at 11:59, Rob-M said:

Good job we are not attending this year then as we normally have two or three volunteers on the boat per day each with their own car.

Rob, the car park ticket is allocated to the boat and, presumably, can be transferred to different cars each day.

If two or three are attending each day surely they can meet off site and drive to the car park in one car.

George

7 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Rob, the car park ticket is allocated to the boat and, presumably, can be transferred to different cars each day.

If two or three are attending each day surely they can meet off site and drive to the car park in one car.

George

Unfortunately we aren't going as Scorpio is currently engineless and Swift had to get back from Foxton for another event. If we had been going we would have probably parked in the village and walked down.

On 08/06/2018 at 15:34, zenataomm said:

……. serves you right for eating dinner.  You should be on Badger's counter drinking tea from an oversized cup and saucer like any decent Josher steerer!

Back in the day I owned & worked & "Josher I never owned a cup & saucer it was a collection of enameled   mugs mostly blue/white  bt I did have one a tasteful shade of pea green held getting on for a pint

On 08/06/2018 at 14:34, zenataomm said:

……. serves you right for eating dinner.  You should be on Badger's counter drinking tea from an oversized cup and saucer like any decent Josher steerer!

16 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Back in the day I owned & worked & "Josher I never owned a cup & saucer it was a collection of enameled   mugs mostly blue/white  bt I did have one a tasteful shade of pea green held getting on for a pint

They can be seen on Grand Union's as well as I have a much prised Portmeirion oversized cup and saucer :captain:

33 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

They can be seen on Grand Union's as well as I have a much prised Portmeirion oversized cup and saucer :captain:

I too have a rather elegant one pint teacup and saucer. 

Dunno if it is portmerion though.