Vetus Dripless Stern Gland Dripping :(

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Seems strange that it has no greaser mechanism. Any gland needs grease whatever kind it is. The water lubricated glands obviously only need a tiny amount of silicone grease which is used to lubricate the seals rather than the shaft. But even they have an access point to add grease. Yours seems to have nothing at all.

Definitely look into a new gland next time you're out of the water.

That's not true.  The PSS shaft seal has no grease in it and is completely maintenance free.

Edited by Neil2

26 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That's not true.  The PSS shaft seal has no grease in it and is completely maintenance free.

But it is lubricated by the carbon ring. Neil2 should have said "lubrication" rather than "grease". Carbon running on a   smooth surface is to a degree self lubricating. If I were to be persuaded to have such a  shaft seal I would choose PSS.

An the Vetus glands are not water lubricated. Its the Cutless rubber shaft bearing that is water lubricated, I suspect teh same is true for Volvo. Both in their modern form I understand still need silicon grease to lubricate the seal for long life.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But it is lubricated by the carbon ring. Neil2 should have said "lubrication" rather than "grease". Carbon running on a   smooth surface is to a degree self lubricating. If I were to be persuaded to have such a  shaft seal I would choose PSS.

An the Vetus glands are not water lubricated. Its the Cutless rubber shaft bearing that is water lubricated, I suspect teh same is true for Volvo. Both in their modern form I understand still need silicon grease to lubricate the seal for long life.

I think you meant to refer to Blackrose not me.  We can argue all day long about what "lubrication" means, I'd suggest we don't...  The fact remains the PSS shaft seal is virtually fit and forget.  

All Sea Otters have PSS seals, when I acquired mine I was sceptical that such a device would work in a canal environment but they do, pretty much faultlessly.  The manufacturers recommend replacing the bellows every 6 years or so but this really only applies to hard working commercial vessels.  Whenever it's come up on the Sea Otter forum the general opinion is the average canal boat won't see enough action to wear out a PSS.  One guy I know has just sold his 2003 Otter which he owned from new and apart from bleeding the air out when relaunching the PSS has never been touched. 

24 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

For what are the 2 lifting eyes screwed into the battery tray please?

:) they were to pass a battery securing strap through. Gave up on that idea, but might resurrect it, now you mention them :) 

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

(snip)  Whenever it's come up on the Sea Otter forum the general opinion is the average canal boat won't see enough action to wear out a PSS.  One guy I know has just sold his 2003 Otter which he owned from new and apart from bleeding the air out when relaunching the PSS has never been touched. 

Gamebird's is original, from 1998. I did adjust it by shifting the Jubilee clips slightly when we first got her, but since then it hasn't been touched, apart from letting the air out on launching. Nor has it leaked. I do check the condition of the rubber boot when servicing, but so far it looks like it's new.

7 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Ok then it's one I've never heard of.  The OP originally said it was a Vetus gland. I thought they all needed some sort of greasing. If it's really completely maintenance free then clearly the OP has nothing to worry about - except that his is dripping and may need maintenance! ?

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Since the cutlass bearing is part of the Vetus gland it is water lubricated. I've had the thing apart and can tell you categorically that water does enter the front part of the Vetus gland itself.

If it's not water lubricated as you say then perhaps you can tell us why is it listed under "Water lubricated stern gear" on the Vetus website?

https://www.vetus.com/en/stern-gear-systems/water-lubricated-stern-gear.html

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

A chap here asked if Vetus sell dripless noses as his drips when he goes indoors from out in the cold.

Is he the same bloke who took his nose apart to see what made it run?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Is he the same bloke who took his nose apart to see what made it run?

Same bloke that entered his nose in the London marathon because it was a good runner.

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

Since the cutlass bearing is part of the Vetus gland it is water lubricated. I've had the thing apart and can tell you categorically that water does enter the front part of the Vetus gland itself.

If it's not water lubricated as you say then perhaps you can tell us why is it listed under "Water lubricated stern gear" on the Vetus website?

https://www.vetus.com/en/stern-gear-systems/water-lubricated-stern-gear.html

Because that is what Vetus (and probably Volvo) call it AND the name refers to the whole shaft, bearing, tube and gland assembly. In that assembly it is only the bearing that is water lubricated. If the seal was water lubricated there would be no need for silicon grease. Water has to be give a way of moving through the fluted bearing so some means of movement in front of the bearing has to be provided. That is what the small tube on the Vetus seal is for as well as allowing air out of the baring  when the boat is put back in the water.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, JonS said:

Dear Richard10002,

I have the same stern gland (1989 boat) and the same issue. Do you have any advice?

Did you resolve the matter?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me...

J

Does your Vetus stern gland look like the one in Richard 10002's picture? I have one that also drips but it looks very different.