Where have all the kingfishers gone?

Grassman

Featured Posts

Ive seen kingfishers on most of the waterways Ive been on recently-no more or less than I normally do. Ive probably been taking more notice than usual because of this thread.The only time I noticed a lack of them was in April. I have noticed this before though-our resident kingfishers do disapear every year at certain times-I always put this down to nesting/hatching or whatever kingfishers do.

One thought that crosses my mind is - its breeding season.   Few if any canals have suitable habitat for a Kingfisher nest could the current case be they are elsewhere at a suitable bank feeding chicks in the nest.

We have just come from Scarisbrick to Chester the long way round via Autherley junction and I’ve seen 4 (or maybe 3, 2 of the spots were within a mile of each other, so it could have been the same one). One just coming into Wigan and the others on the Shroppie.