Temp Sensor

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I didn't when I fitted one to my Beta 43 and it hasn't leaked.

I thought that maybe the case as maybe the sensor is earthed via the threads  as it is a single pole unit. 

5 minutes ago, 1agos said:

I thought that maybe the case as maybe the sensor is earthed via the threads  as it is a single pole unit. 

The sensor is earthed via the threads but a smear of thread sealant will probably allow enough metal to metal contact to give an earth as the current is very low.  However I think these things are designed to seal when suitably tightened.

Added - try it without and if it leaks tighten it a bit more and if it still leaks then I was wrong............

Edited by Chewbacka

Didn't use any sealant on mine when I fitted a temperature gauge to my Vetus 4.17.  I'm pretty sure it was a taper thread, so just tighten it up slightly more if it does leak.

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Those things usually have a tapered thread, has it ?  If so it shouldn't need any sealant.

Doesn't look to be tapered, I'll fit without as suggested.

Thanks for your replies guys.

A tapered thread sender will tighten up gradually getting tighter and tighter until ''just so'', leaving a little bit of thread exposed. A parallel thread sender should have a shoulder under the nut for a sealing washer,''copper, fibre, alloy, O ring'' and would screw in easy all the way up to the sealing washer.

Edited by bizzard