Anyone going to be up near kings bromley saturday fancy helping a newb numpty out.....

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Hi all im taking ownership of my lovely vessel rosaline saturday and i want to fill her up with fuel and water. I was wondering of anyone on here is in tgat marina and would not mind......how do you say supervising (driving) ot onto tge mooring for fuel and water.....i have a feeling im not going to be very good.....

Sorry we aren't able to help but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can. We did exactly the same last year when we got our boat and Ray T of this parish came along and gave us a day of his time showing us what to do. It was the best thing we could have possibly done.

Hope it all goes well.

I bought my first boat.  Fired it up waited for the red flag to change to amber at the end of the cranfleet cut, and cruised down the trent and on to the soar. At redhill i got stopped and told off.  ( soar on red) Id never steered a boat in my life. No anchor 8 ft mooring lines...

ignorance and youth ( i was 22 ) protected me. By foxton i was hooked!

im sure you will make the diesel point just go slow...

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

Best advice given to me as a newbie was if things start going wrong then just pop the box into neutral, think for a few seconds then start again. You will be fine just take your time and smile.

I did something like that when leaving the pontoon for the first time at Barton Turns in 2011. Blew straight onto the reeds!! :(

Somebody shouted step by step instructions from another boat, and got me on my way to the fuel berth :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Thanks very much for the replys folks, i am a bit concerned about filling up but no doubt it will go fine...perhaps the previouse owner on handover may help??

If the previous owner is half decent I am sure they would.

i bought my boat from Markinaboat of this forum and we did exactly the same both for fuel and pump out.  It wasn’t for the benefit of my boat but for others in the marina as I wasn’t keen for that method of introduction to my new berthing neighbours ?

Mark gave me a brilliant handover and time wasn’t an issue.  To this day I even bother him with the odd Q. ?

2 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

If the previous owner is half decent I am sure they would.

i bought my boat from Markinaboat of this forum and we did exactly the same both for fuel and pump out.  It wasn’t for the benefit of my boat but for others in the marina as I wasn’t keen for that method of introduction to my new berthing neighbours ?

Mark gave me a brilliant handover and time wasn’t an issue.  To this day I even bother him with the odd Q. ?

Not all sellers are as accomodating! We never saw ours. It would have been useful to find out why certain things were designed the way they were or indeed where certain things were! We never have found the water tank level gauge....despite the pressure 'sender' is in good working order.

Met someone who was first time out last Saturday on a shared boat. He came along the towpath brandishing his windlass and asked if it was the right tool for doing the locks. He really was starting from ground zero. Hadn't hired or been on a boat before. Presumably he's having fun somewhere on the T&M.

15 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Met someone who was first time out last Saturday on a shared boat. He came along the towpath brandishing his windlass and asked if it was the right tool for doing the locks. He really was starting from ground zero. Hadn't hired or been on a boat before. Presumably he's having fun somewhere on the T&M.

Yes, we had shared boats for 22 years and there were a handful of people who bought shares without ever having been on a boat before.

Most sold their share soon after buying it, but a few went on to become boaters, one even buying his own boat.

Hi I'm moored at King's Bromley, so happy to help but I'm not going to be going down there for a couple of weeks - sorry. 

For filling with water, the taps are on the jetty's so as long as you have a long enough hose they you can fill the tank while moored up.

For diesel you need to reverse in, but I'm sure if you mention it in the office they will give you a hand, they are a very friendly team.  It's very sheltered round by the service dock so you should be fine.

16 hours ago, ianali said:

Oh yes Barton turns is a fun marina don’t you think! I kind of envy newbies, so much fun and adventure ahead.

Indeed it is.

I never found getting onto to the fuel berth an issue, but getting off the ruddy thing if the wind was blowing was a whole different ball game.

4 hours ago, Silebyman said:

Hi I'm moored at King's Bromley, so happy to help but I'm not going to be going down there for a couple of weeks - sorry. 

For filling with water, the taps are on the jetty's so as long as you have a long enough hose they you can fill the tank while moored up.

For diesel you need to reverse in, but I'm sure if you mention it in the office they will give you a hand, they are a very friendly team.  It's very sheltered round by the service dock so you should be fine.

Thanks so much for the advice silebyman

When you're fuelling or doing any routine activities the first few times just tell folks on the ground that you're new to it and you will get lots of help and advice.  Boaters and staff at boatyards are a friendly bunch and always willing to give advice!

24 minutes ago, Nick D said:

When you're fuelling or doing any routine activities the first few times just tell folks on the ground that you're new to it and you will get lots of help and advice.  Boaters and staff at boatyards are a friendly bunch and always willing to give advice!

But after about 5 years of being unable to reverse, they begin to think Hmmmm - maybe he just can't reverse.

On 06/06/2018 at 22:20, Matt&Jo said:

Thanks very much for the replys folks, i am a bit concerned about filling up but no doubt it will go fine...perhaps the previouse owner on handover may help??

If you are filling up in Kings Bromely Marina they will look after you

So how did Matt & Jo get on?

I would have popped over and helped them, but had to attend a family gathering down south for the weekend

Matt & Jo, if you still feel you need instruction when you pass my boat, pull over, tie up and give me a shout and I'll be glad to help.

• Love 1