My first BSS is today...

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

... and I passed! Well, the boat passed. I just sat there all nervous.

BIG THANKS to everyone here who's given me advice over the past year. Without you guys, I'd probably have failed miserably!  :cheers:

I feel like a school kid waiting for exam results. I'll be chasing the postie for the next week to get my first ever BSS certificate. Might even frame it.  :D

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

23 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I'll be chasing the postie for the next week to get my first ever BSS certificate. Might even frame it.  

I thought it had all gone to 'internet' and no certificates issued ?

You get a receipt for payment from the examiner and s 'certification report' and that's it.

Boat Safety Scheme certification reports are now created online by the examiner entering the details of his findings into the BSS database which most navigation authorities have access to. These reports now carry BSSER reference numbers.

Although participating navigation authorities have access to the BSS online database, boat owners, insurance companies, marinas, brokers etc cannot log into the BSS database directly.

This is because we cannot release the data openly and it is because the BSS does not hold any detail about who owns or is the registered keeper of any particular boat

However, some navigation authorities have an online system for anyone registering or licensing a boat for their waterways, where that person can view their own boat details through a secure webpage.

"There is still a certification report and boat owners must be given either an electronic copy, or a paper copy or even both by the examiner..."

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought it had all gone to 'internet' and no certificates issued ?

You get a receipt for payment from the examiner and s 'certification report' and that's it.

This chap gave me the receipt for the cash and took my address 'to post out the certificate' (his words).

Whatever it is. I'm framing it.  :D

I have a poor quality photocopied paper with the examiners name etc scribbled on it in biro from the last BSS test which must have been 2015 . It is paper evidence of the test having been completed but certainly not worth framing.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I have a poor quality photocopied paper with the examiners name etc scribbled on it in biro from the last BSS test which must have been 2015 . It is paper evidence of the test having been completed but certainly not worth framing.

My current (outgoing) one is a small, dark, mobile phone photo of the previous owners BSS.

It took some Photoshop wizardry to make it usable for SC and insurance.

Congratulations.  Its nice when you get a good examiner on your first test.  Make sure you have his contact details in a safe place for next time, its easy to lose them over 4 years (especially when you're my age).

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Congratulations.  Its nice when you get a good examiner on your first test.  Make sure you have his contact details in a safe place for next time, its easy to lose them over 4 years (especially when you're my age).

How do you conclude the examiner was a good one ?

There are probably bad examiners who will issue  a certificate regardless  of what they see , or don't see.

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

There are probably bad examiners who will issue  a certificate regardless  of what they see , or don't see.

A "good" examiner for me is one that does not find fault due to an overly literal interpretation of the "rules".  This happened on my first BSS.  

This definition works for me as all I am looking for from the BSS is the certificate, not any ratification of safety.  That the boat is safe is down to me to go through all the points on the BSS guide and on a few other points as well.  The BSS process is useful to check that I haven't missed anything but the main responsibility is with me.

I agree that my use of the term "good examiner" is not absolute, it would take about 2 pages of legalese to list the caveats that I have left unsaid!

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

It's when the examiner tells you that something is a bit off and lets you correct it.

In my case, the clamp on one of the battery posts was a teeny bit loose. The guy mentioned it, and I tightened it while the guy was there. All good.

A bad examiner could probably have failed me for it.