scaffold board flooring

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any major objections to laying old or new scaffold boards directly onto metal bearers? I will be putting a barrier in between the wood and the metal - I have been advised the stuff they use in brick laying as a damp proof layer. Also I will probably caulk in between the boards to allow some expansion/contraction room. Any responses gratefully received.

They are generally roiugh sawn timber so unless you are going to cover them with carpet or spend hours sanding them down and then varnishing or oiling them not a good idea. I suppose you could put them through a thicknesser to get them smooth but it is a lot of hassle to do it and you need a big workshop to plane 16ft boards!! The best solution is good quality ply or Sterling board and then over board with timber of your choice.

• Greenie 1

If you google you'll see plenty of firms offering sanded scaffolding boards. 

I'd go for reclaimed T&G pine floor boards.  If you fit these you won't have gaps to deal with and therefore no need to caulk.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Peteonthelee...just wondering how the scaffold board floor has coped now it has been down a while? Did you use new or reclaimed boards? I'm looking to do the same with my project boat, just a bit concerned about shrinking/warping/splitting boards between summer and winter with the humidity and temperature changes and most scaffolding boards being made of softwood like spruce. I can get new boards at a pretty good price, so if you haven't had any problems I think it could be the way to go for me. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Goyourownway said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Peteonthelee...just wondering how the scaffold board floor has coped now it has been down a while? Did you use new or reclaimed boards? I'm looking to do the same with my project boat, just a bit concerned about shrinking/warping/splitting boards between summer and winter with the humidity and temperature changes and most scaffolding boards being made of softwood like spruce. I can get new boards at a pretty good price, so if you haven't had any problems I think it could be the way to go for me. Thanks

Hes not visited the forum for over 2 years so doubt he will see your post ?