Shower drain pumps

Mac Mackenzie

Featured Posts

I would be interested in what experiences and recommendations people have with shower drain pumps 

I'm trying to decided whether to go for either a Rule or Attwood waste water sump box with integral bilge pump and float switch or a Whale Gulper pump with remote switch

My preference would be the sump box rather than having to switch a pump on and off

Just how reliable are the sump box systems?

Very unreliable, don’t do it! Whale gulper every time!

We had a sump box on our new build. Despite me cleaning it out a few times (and what a yucky job that is) the inevitable happened and the pump failed to run, the box filled up and overflowed into the bilges. One showerful of dirty soapy water in the bilges, not nice. We then went for a whale gulper which has been perfect and requires no cleaning out etc.

I did install flow switches on the shower water feed pipes so the pump runs automatically as soon as the shower is turned on, but it also needed a timer circuit to keep the pump running for 20 secs or so after the shower was turned off, to get rid of the drips etc

Go Gulper (fit and forget)

Go Sump-Box and learn to live with your head in the bilges cleaning the filter after every shower - not pleasant.

If switching on and off it too complicated, you can get a vacuum switch (commonly) used for 'outside lights' where you just give it a 'push' and it works on a timer (that you set) and switches off after a minute up to 20 minutes.

• Love 1

Thanks for your response. I was also considering the Whale grey water 8 lt tank with water sensor fitted in lid to activate a Gulper pump.

Where did you get your flow switches and also the timer circuit you mentioned?

Here's the Whale grey water tank

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8lt-Whale-Multi-port-Grey-Waste-Water-Storage-Tank-Boats-Caravans-Motorhomes/362100868840?epid=26009272235&hash=item544ee4c6e8:g:sZoAAOSwRH5XKdxS

1 minute ago, Mac Mackenzie said:

Thanks for your response. I was also considering the Whale grey water 8 lt tank with water sensor fitted in lid to activate a Gulper pump.

Why mess about making up timer circuits when its already done for you with one of these 

EK400A.JPG

25 minutes ago, Mac Mackenzie said:

Here's the Whale grey water tank

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8lt-Whale-Multi-port-Grey-Waste-Water-Storage-Tank-Boats-Caravans-Motorhomes/362100868840?epid=26009272235&hash=item544ee4c6e8:g:sZoAAOSwRH5XKdxS

Flow sensors from here: https://www.rapidonline.com/measurement-specialities-fs-10-meas-copper-bodied-flow-switch-61-1358

But the switches aren’t rated sufficiently to operate the pump directly, you would need some electronics or a relay to operate the pump from it. I just used our Empirbus DC distribution system to control it, if you wanted to do it with a run on timer you would need some electronics expertise.

KISS! We have a Gulper with a waterproof rocker switch in the shower compartment. This means that the pump can be switched on and off as you shower – you can delay switching on to get a bit of water build up to soak your feet, for example.

If turning a switch on is too much effort, words fail me.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

KISS! We have a Gulper with a waterproof rocker switch in the shower compartment. This means that the pump can be switched on and off as you shower – you can delay switching on to get a bit of water build up to soak your feet, for example.

Wise words, Whale Gulper every time.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Turning a switch isn’t too much effort, but if you dont have to do it, why do it? Especially when we have Jeff’s elderly parents staying from time to time, simple things like turning switch on and off to drain the shower is something they’re not used to and would struggle.

We replaced a sump box and pump with a whale gulper, we have a switch near the shower door so you turn on the shower, wait for the temperature of the water to settle, turn the pump on and get in the shower.  Job done and no more worrying about daughters with long hair using the shower and blocking the pump.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We replaced a sump box and pump with a whale gulper, we have a switch near the shower door so you turn on the shower, wait for the temperature of the water to settle, turn the pump on and get in the shower.  Job done and no more worrying about daughters with long hair using the shower and blocking the pump.

If my daughter had long hair I’d be very worried.

Not about the hair, about the daughter!

By coincidence I fitted a new float switch to my Attwood shower sump last weekend.

I had the same arrangement in my previous boat.

That is the first shower sump expense I have had in 10 years of boating = £31 for the switch. 

I would say an annual clean out of the sump box is a prudent action for light user.

No doubt the whale gulper is the better solution.

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Another vote for a Gulper. Ours is controlled by a waterproof switch within the shower cubicle which also controls the lights therein.

MP.

I'll join the Gulper Admiration Society. I recently swapped out a standard in-line water pump (lots of cleaning required) for the Gulper and it is excellent. It is operated by a switch just outside the shower.

Gulper for me. My last boat had a rubber vane type jabsco which was a real pain; either the filter blocked or the vanes broke.  No contest fitting a gulper on my present boat, with a switch on the side of the bath.  It's a sit-bath so leave the switch off while having a navy shower. Very economical on water (my water tank is not very big) and just switch it on when I get out.

I made a version of the sump box, with a length of 4" soil pipe, capped off at the bottom, with a hose adapter screwed into the pipe at low level. This sits vertically so that the open top is higher than the shower/bath, and a small submersible pump is dropped into it. The outlet is pumped to the basin waste. All controlled with a switch mounted in the bath panel. A periodic withdrawal of the pump enables cleaning, and the basin waste gives a visual ( and audible ) monitor of working.

• Greenie 1

Thank you everybody for your contributions. I can see that the waste box with float switch is going to need ongoing maintenance so I will probably go with the diaphragm pump for greater reliability .

The only thing which puts me off the Whale Gulper is the noise it makes. I'm looking at the Johnson Viking pump which is supposed to be much quieter. Has anyone had any experience of this model pump?

http://www.spxflow.com/en/johnson-pump-marine/pd-marine-lavatory-systems-viking-power-16/

summary11_917910-13350-VikingPower_16_1201.jpg

Edited by Mac Mackenzie

Whale gulper is the dogs tackle.

Having said that we have had an old  Jabsco impeller pump in ever since we bought the boat and it has never blocked. Got 2 unused spare impellers.

Operated by an air switch in the shower, totally waterproof.