Firing up the Sabb again.

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

Cold start, or had you had it running already?  Also, is there a leak on the exhaust manifold?  All in all, not much wrong with that, nice engine.

Yes, We had run it briefly a few minutes before. Yes, there is a leak on the exhaust manifold. There is a stud here which will need to be removed. One of the rear engine mounts has two studs stuck in. I think salt water in the past has caused small amounts of corrosion on a couple of parts which has made them hard to remove. Liberal amounts of penetrating fluid have released most fittings now. These engines are wonderful starters in my limited experience and although only 22hp quite powerful enough for a 57' boat on canals, rivers and the tidal bits we venture onto.

Looking good Peter. Is this a spare or are you replacing the one thats in your boat already? That always sounds good in your vids.

My own is running lovely now (still needs some more work on the injection side though)

I originally bought it very cheaply as it was advertised as 'for spares'. In fact, with a very small amount of work it started and I've  kept it complete. A couple of small ancillaries have found their to my narrow boat....an original alternator....an original Sabb tachometer etc.

It's a quandary....of course as long as I have this running spare then my own engine will never break down....the moment I sell it I will surely need it for some difficult to acquire spare part!

Yes, I too was told that my current Sabb was originally in a Norwegian fishing boat at the start of its life. It was, I believe, acquired by Mike Sivewright and he arranged for it to be fitted into Bullfinch eighteen years ago to replace a single cylinder Sabb. This was because the boat was lengthened at that time by 10 feet to form a bedroom.