New Moorings in Wigan

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

New pontoon moorings have appeared outside Trencherfield Mill where the CRT offices are now.  There are gates at each end, one even with a CRT padlock on, but of course pointless as anyone could easily climb across or through.  But a problem is that the lock above (by the dry dock) is locked until 8AM, so these moorings in effect can't be used before a morning ascent of the Wigan flight if one wants to be quick off the mark.  I had occasion to go into the new offices (not easy - you can't just wander in!) and mentioned this, and they said they were taking that on board.

Wigan moorings.jpg

9 minutes ago, pearley said:

I recall reading somewhere that the lowered section  to the right us for canoeists so effectively only one boat length. 

Is the water tap there too? 

There is a water tap nearby, not very evident.

Just had a note from CRT that in fact Lock 87 by the dry dock is not locked overnight, despite what it says on the lock. Only 89 & 88 are locked.  Perhaps this is due to feedback about the new pontoon, including mine.  If the latter, that's ultra quick!

87 wasn't locked the other year when we went through but we stopped above it as we knew we couldn't get through Paigefield and the moorings below Dock Yard are pretty hard to get on and off from (even if you avoid "Evil Tom").

1 hour ago, pearley said:

I recall reading somewhere that the lowered section  to the right us for canoeists so effectively only one boat length. 

Is the water tap there too? 

The water tap is just to the right of Macs photo.

Pontoon was put there as part of the Desmond Family Canoe Trail Project.

Picnic area is CRT.  The rebranding picnic was held there recently.

Lock 87 (above pontoon) is never locked, best place to stop is between 87-86

Water point near pontoon was reinstated last year.  Prior to that there was a water point outside old office (secure moorings)

5 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

New pontoon moorings have appeared outside Trencherfield Mill where the CRT offices are now.  There are gates at each end, one even with a CRT padlock on, but of course pointless as anyone could easily climb across or through.  But a problem is that the lock above (by the dry dock) is locked until 8AM, so these moorings in effect can't be used before a morning ascent of the Wigan flight if one wants to be quick off the mark.  I had occasion to go into the new offices (not easy - you can't just wander in!) and mentioned this, and they said they were taking that on board.

Wigan moorings.jpg

I thought they were for canoes

Are the two locks above locked overnight, this is from the latest info from CRT on Wigan

"Overnight restrictions will remain in place at Poolstock Locks, along with Lock 88 (Pagefield Lock) to Lock 89 (Ell Meadow Lock).  These locks will be closed from 8pm to 8am.  "

3 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

I noticed the picnic area this morning when I went to the CaRT office. There are no signs up but they could be for the office staff at Lowri Beck which are next door.

I noticed yesterday that the sign on the towpath saying CRT office that was bolted high on the gateway has been removed in the past 3 weeks.

I mentioned the new pontoon when I was in the CRT office, and was told they were 24 hour visitor moorings. Canoes were not mentioned. There are no signs on the pontoon, but there are mooring cleats.  The water point is in fact just visible in the extreme right of my pic (little black box).

18 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I mentioned the new pontoon when I was in the CRT office, and was told they were 24 hour visitor moorings. Canoes were not mentioned. There are no signs on the pontoon, but there are mooring cleats.  The water point is in fact just visible in the extreme right of my pic (little black box).

I hope you didnt follow the CRT map to find the office as that still shows it on the other side of the canal, o and this is the mooring https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/new-pontoon-launched-in-wigan

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hope you didnt follow the CRT map to find the office as that still shows it on the other side of the canal, o and this is the mooring https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/new-pontoon-launched-in-wigan

"The entire pontoon is DDA friendly". What's that?