Engine mountings HA3

Featured Posts

I have been asked the panels opinion on engine mounts. My bro in law doesnt do forums etc so I have been tasked with the ask. He has this engine in his boat, I am of the opinion it would make a good mud weight but its his choice and in fairness it runs very well ( for a lister ) and gives him no problem. Obviously its not quite as smooth as my superbly engineered Japanese engine but he would like to smooth it out a little more if possible? He has it attached to hard wood bearers and then engine beds and he wondered if any of you with similar engines use maybe packing pieces of hard rubber or anything  else to dampen the noise and a bit of vibration say between the engine and boat? Any ideas? iirc his alternater is mounted off the engine which could make things a little awkward. Believe it or not his engine start battery is charged via a dynamo!! :blink:

Thanks in anticipation.

Solid mounting an HA engine would be normal, though.

Both our HA2s are solidly bolted to the engine beds, though one has a hardwood bearer in between, whereas the other goes straight onto the steel.

IMG_2589.JPG

Floor+Changed+1.JPG

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Solid mounting an HA engine would be normal, though.

Very true, but from my experience of designing transportable diesel-driven pumping systems, using Tico pads can remove a lot of vibration.  I think that the cost of Tico, plus the area required (which normally involves installing intermediate steel plates between the engine feet and the bearers) are the main reasons why one doesn't find it used very frequently in boats.

Chris G

Just now, Batavia said:

Very true, but from my experience of designing transportable diesel-driven pumping systems, using Tico pads can remove a lot of vibration.  I think that the cost of Tico, plus the area required (which normally involves installing intermediate steel plates between the engine feet and the bearers) are the main reasons why one doesn't find it used very frequently in boats.

Chris G

Thanks. I have informed bro in law and he will be googling no doubt to find out more about them. I doubt cost will put him off as he spends considerable time, money and effort on his boat. It will be an awesome buy when he sells it.