Weston Marsh Lock, Weaver Navigation closed UFN

frangar

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of using the Ship Canal & Weaver to bypass the middlewich breach

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13211/marsh-lock-weaver-navigationmanchester-ship-canal

I was there last week when a narrowboat we stranded overnight on the Manchester Ship Canal after forgetting to arrange with CaRT to open the lock to access the River Weaver.

1 minute ago, Pie Eater said:

I was there last week when a narrowboat we stranded overnight on the Manchester Ship Canal after forgetting to arrange with CaRT to open the lock to access the River Weaver.

Having stopped at the lock when on the Weaver to have a look, that is not a nice place to be.

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Having stopped at the lock when on the Weaver to have a look, that is not a nice place to be.

At least not too windy and no driving rain, I am told that in bad conditions that can be a very bad place to be.

...............Dave

Does anybody know any more about this? The CaRT message says boat damage but I suspect CaRT now try to blame boaters for most failures.

The lock has had major works not so long ago but when we came through recently it already had some small problems.

If its a big stoppage then that's very bad news as this route is getting used quite a bit since the Middlewich failure, though I suspect this increased use probably equates to "a boat most days". Also I think there is still an intention for Daniel Adamson to be using the Weaver this summer.

Town Bridge is Northwich is still out of action and Vale Royal is still using a portable petrol winch to work the lock gates but there were engineers on site last week and rumour is the restored listed swing bridge is about to return, with new gate mechanisms to follow.

............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

At least not too windy and no driving rain, I am told that in bad conditions that can be a very bad place to be.

...............Dave

It was windy when we were there, 2 foot waves hitting the lock on the MSC side, glad we were on the Weaver!

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It was windy when we were there, 2 foot waves hitting the lock on the MSC side, glad we were on the Weaver!

I am surprised that there is no wind advice or wind limit when booking the passage. When we woke up at Ellesmere Port the wind was very gusty and I seriously thought about requesting a delay for a day or two. Luckily the wind started to drop and by the time we got to Marsh lock it was almost flat calm so a rather pleasant bit of open water.

........Dave

11 hours ago, dmr said:

Does anybody know any more about this? The CaRT message says boat damage but I suspect CaRT now try to blame boaters for most failures.

The lock has had major works not so long ago but when we came through recently it already had some small problems.

If its a big stoppage then that's very bad news as this route is getting used quite a bit since the Middlewich failure, though I suspect this increased use probably equates to "a boat most days". Also I think there is still an intention for Daniel Adamson to be using the Weaver this summer.

Town Bridge is Northwich is still out of action and Vale Royal is still using a portable petrol winch to work the lock gates but there were engineers on site last week and rumour is the restored listed swing bridge is about to return, with new gate mechanisms to follow.

............Dave

Read on FaceBook the Danial Adamson hit the top gate when she came into the lock

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Read on FaceBook the Danial Adamson hit the top gate when she came into the lock

How embarrassing for them. That is a big boat so really could do some damage.  When we went in there was only a moderate breeze but CaRT only opened one gate, it was ok but needed a bit of concentration, so I can imagine getting a big boat in with any wind could be tricky.

............Dave

It all sounds serious, the gates were hit quite hard and likely damaged beyond easy repair, might be able to use the middle gates (move them to the top) but these would need some work first. Such unfortunate timing. Likely to be months to sort out.

..............Dave

It's not the first time the Danny has clouted a lock. When we were on her last June she rammed the top gates at Dutton, but only bent the footway brackets etc.  Possibly a lack of steam to deal with a surge, after blowing some off as she was waiting to be towed out of the lock and over the shallows.

A lovelyinteresting  trip though.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

It all sounds serious, the gates were hit quite hard and likely damaged beyond easy repair, might be able to use the middle gates (move them to the top) but these would need some work first. Such unfortunate timing. Likely to be months to sort out.

..............Dave

Doubt it. I would think you could swap the middle and bottom gates, the top gates are going to be shorter

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

Doubt it. I would think you could swap the middle and bottom gates, the top gates are going to be shorter

Richard

The Weaver Lock gates are all deep (for ships!) and the rise on Marsh is not much so maybe it was built with identical gates.  Anyway only quoting what the CaRT men were saying, and I mean the people who do rather than the people who sit in an office.

You could go and have a look yourself, you must have a lot of free time now there are no old red engine rebuilds to keep you busy ?

.............Dave

Been on the phone with CRT this afternoon. They have no idea how long its going to take to reopen Marsh Lock. I asked them to make a bigger announcement, given that boaters are trying to use the MSC to bypass Middlewich. I spent money on getting my survey done 2 days ago and he knew nothing of the stoppage. Peel ports don't pick up the phone. Anyone else trying to get through? Anyone else taking a longer journey along the canal? Wondering what's going on with boats who've already booked passage to Marsh Lock.

G

18 hours ago, RLWP said:

Been there, done that. Moored overnight waiting to go down the ship canal in 2003

Where does all the time go?

NRichard

That could be a song ? Gets more and more true as we get older. Also noticed a boat on the Weaver with that very name.

...............Dave

4 hours ago, graemejwalker said:

Been on the phone with CRT this afternoon. They have no idea how long its going to take to reopen Marsh Lock. I asked them to make a bigger announcement, given that boaters are trying to use the MSC to bypass Middlewich. I spent money on getting my survey done 2 days ago and he knew nothing of the stoppage. Peel ports don't pick up the phone. Anyone else trying to get through? Anyone else taking a longer journey along the canal? Wondering what's going on with boats who've already booked passage to Marsh Lock.

G

Have a look at this blog:

Holderness

13 minutes ago, RLWP said:

???

I think it's for information on doing the whole length of the ship canal: bypassing the Middlewich breach by going from Ellesmere port on the Shroppie to Pomona lock which takes you back onto the Bridgewater in Manchester, and thence via Preston Brook to the T&M.

MP.