Fire extinguishers

Featured Posts

These have been referred to on some other threads recently, so I thought I'd pass on a suggestion from my BSC examiner with regard to dry powder extinguishers. There are various recommendations about having these serviced, but it's often easier just to chuck them away at the end of their service life and replace with new (not very environmentally friendly, but there you are).

Regardless of its service date, if a dry powder extinguisher is left undisturbed, the powder tends to clag together at the bottom, and when you try to use it in anger, nothing much happens. What they need, apparently, is a good shake every so often. So when some eejit goes past at Mach 1, or turns a lock against you right in your face :lol: , get down the hatch, pull an extinguisher off the wall and shake like buggery!

Any thoughts? (he asked meekly).

Ian

These have been referred to on some other threads recently, so I thought I'd pass on a suggestion from my BSC examiner with regard to dry powder extinguishers. There are various recommendations about having these serviced, but it's often easier just to chuck them away at the end of their service life and replace with new (not very environmentally friendly, but there you are).

Regardless of its service date, if a dry powder extinguisher is left undisturbed, the powder tends to clag together at the bottom, and when you try to use it in anger, nothing much happens. What they need, apparently, is a good shake every so often. So when some eejit goes past at Mach 1, or turns a lock against you right in your face :lol: , get down the hatch, pull an extinguisher off the wall and shake like buggery!

Any thoughts? (he asked meekly).

Ian

They also need a good sharp knock to disturbed the powder...

So hit the annoying git over the head with it :(

I've always thought of inventing a Helium fire extinguisher. It is an inert gas like CO2 but would be much lighter to carry to the fire :(

I've always thought of inventing a Helium fire extinguisher. It is an inert gas like CO2 but would be much lighter to carry to the fire :lol:

they would tend to float away. you would need ground anchors to restrain them. : :(:(

You should turn them upside down and you should feel the powder drop inside. This shows that the powder hasn't caked. Then turn them back again, giving a good shake as the powder moves again.