Featured Posts

Hello Lysander.  When I have completed the saga of how Aries was re-incarnated and then her years at the Boat Museum, it will be interesting to see more recent pics of her.  I have much more to post, but am taking it gently to arrange the photos in order before 'publication'.  Pete commented that she is now on dry land.  I did not know that.

3 hours ago, Grawar said:

Hello Lysander.  When I have completed the saga of how Aries was re-incarnated and then her years at the Boat Museum, it will be interesting to see more recent pics of her.  I have much more to post, but am taking it gently to arrange the photos in order before 'publication'.  Pete commented that she is now on dry land.  I did not know that.

I will hang on to my photos of Aries in the water at Ellesmere until the story gets to that point! I'm afraid they are not great photos as Ariel was moored beyond another boat (Scorpio?) and partially under cover. And of course I wasn't specifically photographing her - just taking general pictures of the very sad boats.

OK, here are three more pics as Aries was she was hauled out, 10 Oct 1977

77-10-10 Haul out 4.jpg

77-10-10 Haul out  5.jpg

77-10-10 Haul out 6.jpg

Malcolm Braine is supervising the operation.

You can see his well known steamer President afloat alongside.

Through winter 1977/79 and into spring/early summer 1978, work was slowly and carefully continuing.  The fine old Russell Newbery engine was lifted out and taken for a full strip down and re-build.  This proved to be a long and expensive job.  I still hoped that the existing boatman's cabin could be retained.  However, this too proved to be rotten and was taken down.

1977 (late) bow.jpg

1977 (late).jpg

Edited by Grawar
typo
  • Greenie 1

During the early part of 1978 the remainder of the rotten timber was removed from the hull.  The skeleton looked more like a demolition than a restoration.  Malcolm Braine still councilled me that the project should be abandoned and a new 50' or 60' boat be commissioned.  However, I figured we were now past the point of no return. and that the duty of protecting this historic old boat was mine.

1978 early (Jan).jpg

1978 (Jan) looking aft.jpg

All that now remained of the superstructure was steel part of the engine hole

25 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I would like to thank you for downloading all of these photographs of ARIES. Clearly these document an important period in the history of this boat and I certainly appreciate every single image :captain:

I agree with you Pete it is good to look back at the history of this restoration, and it is good of Grawar to share this with us.

At this particular time I had brought Sirius and was having the stern end rebuilt by John woolly at Brentford. 

I am pleased that these memories and pictures are finding a receptive audience.  I am delighted to have your feedback and reactions.  Fortunately I have many happy memories to share with you... coming up.

Malcolm Braine's regular reports to me give a detailed account of progress.  Early in 1978 he is awaiting delivery of the butt of a very large oak tree from which to fashion the new counter block.  During spring and early summer the rear cabin frame was reconstructed with 3" x 5" oak beams and the steel frame of the engine hole repaired with fresh sections where too badly corroded.  The fuel tanks had been removed and cleaned out of forty years worth of sludge and the cleansing of the bilges was complete.  The lining planks and shearing was renewed and the stern rebuilt.  Plus the next interim bill arrived, already exceeding my anticipated total budget.

The (very expensive) new counter in position

IMG_20180731_0002 (2).jpg

Edited by Grawar

The entire stem post was found to be rotten and split from top to bottom.  A new one was fashioned.  The top bends were removed together with the foredeck.  With the exception of the bottom or keel, hull works were completed before the autumn.

1978 Sept.jpg

I'm glad that you like it Paul.  The story is slowly becoming happier!

The works on Aries continued on... and on, although severe cold delayed progress through the winter of 1978/79.  The keelson had been extensively repaired, with a major 30' section removed and replaced in 12"x4" oak.  Many of the bottoms were scrapped where worn thin and replaced in two and a half inch elm, although I decided only to do essential work on this, the budget being stretched way beyond that originally envisaged.  Into the Spring and Summer 1979, good progress was made with the hull works more or less complete. 

The boat was lifted, turned and caulked and bedded in chalico as required.  Much painting done including the boatman's cabin, apart from decoration and was by now looking good.

1979 doors.jpg

1979 Summer bed.jpg

1979 Summer cupboard.jpg

So far as possible, old shaped pieces of timber from the cabin were saved and refitted.  Where this was not possible, exact replicas were fashioned.

Thanks from me too. I’ve known Malcom since the mid 60s and have lettered most of the Norton Canes output since the mid 90s. Malcolm’s original signwriter, Ted Chetwynd, was my inspiration when he lettered Cactus for him in those long ago days. One of the photos features Trevor Ward who was still at the yard until the early teens of this century, he was a fount of skilled knowledge about boats and boat building....a real old time craftsman. Thanks again.