Engine swap.

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Paul HD said:

All the Nauticus that I have seen have this Z drive thing. I think that tilts sideways so you can get to the prop.

The Outboard will be perfect. I don't need it to charge up leisure batts. I have no intention of staying on the boat. As long as the OB puts a charge into its own battery that is good.

No lights? No fridge? No overnights?

3 minutes ago, Paul HD said:

The Outboard will be perfect. I don't need it to charge up leisure batts. I have no intention of staying on the boat. As long as the OB puts a charge into its own battery that is good.

If you are just going to 'potter about' in a 'day-boat' why go to all the trouble and expense of a big 27 foot boat with beds, cookers and a fridge ?

You could get a 'tiddler' (15-18 foot) launch off a trailer, have no mooring costs, lower licence fees, lower maintenance costs.

Pack up a cool box, and away you go.

I may be a misery;  but -

The OB mounting  from the photo seems to be a bit of a compromise as you have to remove a panel to tilt the engine to clear the prop.

It's fitted with a sea toilet and appears to discharge overboard. OK on some rivers (even so - not nice) but not on the canals

Worth checking whether my comments have any validity....

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I may be a misery;  but -

The OB mounting  from the photo seems to be a bit of a compromise as you have to remove a panel to tilt the engine to clear the prop.

It's fitted with a sea toilet and appears to discharge overboard. OK on some rivers (even so - not nice) but not on the canals

Worth checking whether my comments have any validity....

They are good points.

I went to look at the boat today. If I end up with the boat the bog has to go, I will have a cassette type. I don't even like the shower but that will not be a problem to stay.

I took a lot of pics of the boat. There is a cut out in the transom that will allow the OB to tilt up to clear any weed.

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

No lights? No fridge? No overnights?

There are lights and Fridge. I didn't see any overnights. :-))

2 hours ago, Paul HD said:

There are lights and Fridge. I didn't see any overnights. :-))

Then there are leisure batteries - how are they charged?

Are you only going to use the boat in daylight - not stay overnight on her

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Then there are leisure batteries - how are they charged?

Are you only going to use the boat in daylight - not stay overnight on her

Richard

Hi Richard,

There were two large plastic boxes that housed two batts, I assume they get charged from the electric hook up supply on land?? I imagine they would run LED lights for days.

It will be daylight cruising for me, 4 hours up the canal and 4 hours back to marina, max.  

I just want to get the feel of Marina and canal boating and this is the way I want to do it. If I like it in a year, then I will probably go down the narrowboat route.

Cheers,

Paul

Just now, Paul HD said:

Hi Richard,

There were two large plastic boxes that housed two batts, I assume they get charged from the electric hook up supply on land?? I imagine they would run LED lights for days.

It will be daylight cruising for me, 4 hours up the canal and 4 hours back to marina, max.  

I just want to get the feel of Marina and canal boating and this is the way I want to do it. If I like it in a year, then I will probably go down the narrowboat route.

Cheers,

Paul

Bear in mind, you'll struggle to get eight hours cruising in over the winter.

You are already planning to sell the boat - the buyer may want to use the boat in a more adventurous way. So be prepared for this kind of conversation, plus getting the price negotiated down because there's no way of charging the leisure batteries away from a marina

Richard

Hi All,

The boat I linked earlier in this thread had a pump style toilet. How big of a deal is it to change to a cassette style? Do I need to start taking tanks out? Can it be removed and then have the holes capped off? Look forward to hearing your views.

No cr@p jokes. LOL?

Here is the link again you will find a picture of the offending article.

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/classic-27-by-stourport-boat-for-sale-6770.html

If it has a holding tank then just cap it off, remove old bog and place cassette/porta poti in its place. If holding tank has good access then remove it if you need the space.

In my view that is a better layout than a Nauticus, just my personal choice, looks a nice boat. Was the engine quiet when cruising?

Edited by Mike Hurley

27 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If it has a holding tank then just cap it off, remove old bog and place cassette/porta poti in its place. If holding tank has good access then remove it if you need the space.

In my view that is a better layout than a Nauticus, just my personal choice, looks a nice boat. Was the engine quiet when cruising?

Hi Mike,

I like it too. The back end seemed to have a lot more room. Unfortunately the batts were dead so they couldn't start it. They said they would charge and get it going but I had to be somewhere else. He said the outboard is very quiet. 

Even if it had started they don't take the boat away from the mooring unless you have agreed to a price and put down a refundable deposit. A few marinas have the same policy.

The only thing about the boat I didn't like was the fake birds eye Walnut that has been plastered everywhere. 

• Happy 1

Be careful, very careful.

The advantage of an outboard (even quite big ones) is that you can rope start them you don't need batteries.

Even if they are not fitted with a recoil starter, if you lift off the 'lid' you can wind the rope around a slot on the top of the engine (flywheel)

Its worrying that the seller didn't know this (or intentionally didn't do it because of ??????)

Get used to rope-starting because you will need to  (you were warned that they don't recharge the batteries sufficiently)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think the batt was dead because it had been sitting there for a long time without running.

Even if he could get a rope on it I don't think you would pull start it. The outboard is so low that the angle of the rope would of pulled off.

Anyway, I don't think he had anything to hide. I had the same at Sawley marina the week before but they had a portable jump starter.

My outboard, a 10 hp 2 stroke with electric start is in the lake about 5 months of the year and i use it 2-3 times a week for about an hour each trip, never fails to start and not had a flat battery in the 4 years i have had it. It has a pull start as well which i have never needed, engine runs on a small car battery.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Oh, oh, oh... You're about to buy a boat! This is how it goes when a boat finds you

Richard

Hi Richard,

Without a doubt I will be getting a boat. I managed to secure a mooring at my local Marina today, so that is a worry I do not have any longer.

35 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

My outboard, a 10 hp 2 stroke with electric start is in the lake about 5 months of the year and i use it 2-3 times a week for about an hour each trip, never fails to start and not had a flat battery in the 4 years i have had it. It has a pull start as well which i have never needed, engine runs on a small car battery.

That is good news.

I was  searching for other boats like this and I found a couple of boats that are exactly the same but they are called Ensign Classic 27.

Not Stourport as mentioned in the advert.

3 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Hi All,

A quick update...

Tomorrow I will get to hear the outboard and test cruise.

Apart from other boaters.?Anything I should look out for on the test run?

Cheers,

Paul. 

Nope, you're doomed now. Basically, if you like the boat, a few problems won't matter because they'll get sorted. If you don't like the boat, a few small problems will put you off

Go see if you still like it

Richard

4 hours ago, RLWP said:

Nope, you're doomed now. Basically, if you like the boat, a few problems won't matter because they'll get sorted. If you don't like the boat, a few small problems will put you off

Go see if you still like it

Richard

You are right. I do like it and even if the outboard sounds rough it won't put me off to be honest. 

Cheers,

Paul.

Just now, Paul HD said:

It is very true.

I have also learnt that I will never find the perfect boat at this price bracket. This boat ticks a lot of boxes for me and I am happy with that.

Yep, a boat has found you