Engine swap.

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have been viewing a few Nauticus 27 GRP boats. I have come to the decision that I want the boat to be petrol driven for the reason of noise.

Can anyone recommend someone that would do that kind of work?

What would be the ball park figure of swapping out a diesel for petrol?

Would be good to have a recommendation on what petrol engine would be a good choice.

I would actually like to have an outboard, but I think that might involve a lot of work to the hull to be done correctly?

TIA

Regards

Paul

Swap out a Diesel engine for petrol? that’s just daft.   If you want it quiet look into soundproofing and quieting the diesel, not spending thousands on a engine swap for something that’s not really ideal for a boat environment in the first place.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please reconsider & look at soundproofing the engine bay. Petrol will bring a load more BSS points and there are good sates reasons that nowadays so few boats have petrol inboards.

I was pleasantly surprised when I added sound insulation to the engine compartment.  The noise level dropped from 86 dB to a very acceptable 53 dB.

It's a 'waste of money' because a straight swap (if indeed that was possible) is most likely to make very little difference. As koukouvagia has just stated sound treatment and - if possible - direct water cooling will make a huge amount of difference in addition to better sound deadening treatment.

If this forum is to be any help, perhaps you could indicate which engines would be involved in the swap?  I've not had any involvement with Z-drives - which I assume your target boat(s) may, but that may also complicate what could e swapped anyway. 

51 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Keep looking for the right boat, engine swap is a massive waste of money.

And also brings insecurity, with outboard motors being vulnerable to theft and damage. 

I am sure that if you asked at a number of yards, one would jump at the chance. 99.99% of boats are 'going the other way' and to find a good marinized diesel engine is getting harder. They may even do the work 'for free' and throw in an old petrol engine they have taken out of somewhere.

Based on (say) a £20k boat, I reckon a petrol engine boat to be worth (maybe) £5000 less than the 'same' boat with a diesel engine.

2 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Hi All,

I have been viewing a few Nauticus 27 GRP boats. I have come to the decision that I want the boat to be petrol driven for the reason of noise.

Can anyone recommend someone that would do that kind of work?

Would be good to have a recommendation on what petrol engine would be a good choice.

I would actually like to have an outboard, but I think that might involve a lot of work to the hull to be done correctly?

TIA

Regards

Paul

Here is another good reason http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/somerleyton-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-1-5545579

3 hours ago, Paul HD said:

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you suggesting that there is a lower risk of CO poisoning with petrol ?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you suggesting that there is a lower risk of CO poisoning with petrol ?

Sorry I see now that has come out in the negative, bad wording on my part. The rick of CO with petrol is greater.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry I see now that has come out in the negative, bad wording on my part. The rick of CO with petrol is greater.

Thanks for clearing that up - I agree.

Petrol has many more risks than diesel, but at the end of the day either installation can produce CO if not properly maintained.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

There are a few Nauticus 27s for sale at the moment with petrol engines, or keep an eye out for a 22 with outboard, are you dead set on a Nauticus as there is a lot of other outboard powered cruisers for sale that may be suitable for you ,an engine swap is neither a simple or cheap job so far better to buy one that already has a petrol inboard or outboard, don't be put off by it being miles away from you either as its not a huge expense to have it transported by road..

On 04/06/2018 at 19:15, jocave said:

There are a few Nauticus 27s for sale at the moment with petrol engines, or keep an eye out for a 22 with outboard, are you dead set on a Nauticus as there is a lot of other outboard powered cruisers for sale that may be suitable for you ,an engine swap is neither a simple or cheap job so far better to buy one that already has a petrol inboard or outboard, don't be put off by it being miles away from you either as its not a huge expense to have it transported by road..

Thanks Jocave,

I have viewed a couple of petrol driven Nauticus but a little over priced. I did Put a bid on diesel powered one but that got away.

Still looking.

11 hours ago, jocave said:

http://www.bridgehousemarina.co.uk/boatmoreinfo.asp?BoatIDParam=8

That one is cheap but needs a tidy up inside.

11 hours ago, jocave said:

Hi Jocave,

Aramis was sold sometime ago. 

The other looks like too much work for me. If it is local to me I will have a look.

By the condition of the cupboards it looks like it has spent a bit of time under water rather than on top. :-))

Thanks for the links.

Regards,

Paul.

What sort of budget do you have or is it flexible for the right boat? Do you mind doing a bit of work or paying for work to be done?? I'm sure W+T can do any work that may need doing if you found something that needed a bit of updating..

2 hours ago, jocave said:

What sort of budget do you have or is it flexible for the right boat? Do you mind doing a bit of work or paying for work to be done?? I'm sure W+T can do any work that may need doing if you found something that needed a bit of updating..

Most of the Naticus 27 that I have seen are sub 8000. That is a budget that I am happy to go with to see if I like this boating hobby. For a Nauticus that ticks all the boxes I could be pushed to 10000

I am going to see this boat tomorrow. It doesn't have the beautiful lines of a Nauticus but I will get to hear what an outboard sounds like on a 27 foot GRP.

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/classic-27-by-stourport-boat-for-sale-6770.html

That outboard will be quiet, another advantage of an outboard on a GRP cruiser is you can lift the engine to clear the prop if needed, shaft drive ones you have to get in the water to clear it. Have any shaft drives got weed hatches? I know my Seamaster didn't.

20 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

That outboard will be quiet, another advantage of an outboard on a GRP cruiser is you can lift the engine to clear the prop if needed, shaft drive ones you have to get in the water to clear it. Have any shaft drives got weed hatches? I know my Seamaster didn't.

Just as a counter balance :

The disadvantage of an outboard is that it does not provide enough power to maintain charge on a domestic battery bank - they barely produce enough to keep a starter battery topped up.

Modern engines tend to be a little bit better but a 20 year old 9.9 engine will be very low.

The 'new' 9.9 Yamaha OB engines have a 6 amp alternator - compare that to a 60 - 700 - 100 amp alternator on a typical diesel engine canal boat, and consider the 'problems' folks have with keeping their batteries charged.

With an OB you need to adapt your life around having a very low electrical usage.

From Yamaha :

Portable 9.9 hp

Our 212-cc 9.9-hp portable is an impressive little outboard with a new, shorter tiller handle for increased comfort and the option of manual or electric start. The F9.9 platform is so popular, we also offer it in a high-thrust T9.9 format. The high-thrust model offers the option of a 25-inch shaft and a V MAX SHO® sport cowl when used as a kicker on a multi-species boat.

Available for remote mechanical or tiller-handle control

Only 87 pounds

Available in 15” and 20” and 25” (T9.9 only) shaft lengths

Solid 6-amp alternator

Edited by Alan de Enfield

28 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

All the Nauticus that I have seen have this Z drive thing. I think that tilts sideways so you can get to the prop.

The Outboard will be perfect. I don't need it to charge up leisure batts. I have no intention of staying on the boat. As long as the OB puts a charge into its own battery that is good.