outboard maintenance

Featured Posts

I have a Suzuki DF15 (2006) outboard motor and I've not done much maintenance on it since getting it almost a year ago.

What kind of maintenance can I do/not with the outboard tilted back?

From the service manual:

outboard-maint.jpg.2cb95a0d0dd40ffe5bb49ebf55ee418d.jpg

30 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I have a Suzuki DF15 (2006) outboard motor and I've not done much maintenance on it since getting it almost a year ago.

What kind of maintenance can I do/not with the outboard tilted back?

From the service manual:

outboard-maint.jpg.2cb95a0d0dd40ffe5bb49ebf55ee418d.jpg

To change the pump and impellor you need to either take the boat out of the water, or, take the engine off the boat.

You need to 'drop' the leg and gearbox off the engine to get to the impellor.

Gear oil can only be done with the leg vertical off the boat, or the boat out of the water.

These should both be done annually.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

No experience with a Suzuki but my Honda 10hp is a simple job to service, engine oil ,plugs, fuel filter can be done in situ, I changed the impellor and gear oil yesterday by tilting the engine and pulling it up the slipway, putting on my wellies and then its easy enough to remove the leg, pretty sure it could be done if you found a shallow bit of canal, as Alan said leg needs to be vertical to get gear oil level correct so don't try doing it tilted, its a simple enough job requiring only basic tools so worth giving it a go yourself...