Bmc 2.2 injector timing

jnrhacksaw

Featured Posts

I've changed the injection pump on my engine and I'm having problems getting it timed.

Trial and error has improved things, better starting and less smoking. But I want to get the timing absolutely right. 

Obviously I don't have the factory tool to do this,  is there something else I can use? Or even another method?

As you talk about factory tool can we assume its a 2.2 with a DPA injector pumps. The older ones with an inline pump just used timing marks and a swan neck on the  no/1 injector pipe connection after removing the delivery valve.

This is very hazy memory but I think the DPA one had a pointer on the adaptor the pump bolts to a bit like the 1.5s and 1.8s so unless you have messed with the camshaft or the timing chain is very worn AND the pump people properly marked the pump then ist just align the scribed mark on the pump flange with the pointer on the adaptor. I THINK the tool is to initially set the pointer.

As the 2.2 has a proper sprocket type cam chain tensioner there should not be that much wrong with the valve timing and if there is messing with the injector pump is unlikely to help much.

As I said very hazy memory so may well be wrong.